Replacing cooling solutions on 8800/2900

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Hi there, I currently have an Vantec Iceberq 5 on my 9600XT. It's one of those universal-type coolers, a circular copper heatsink with 60x60x12mm fan that runs extremely quietly. There are also 8 copper memory heatsinks.

Now this might probably be a dumb question, but I don't know, the current cooling solutions on the 8800s and 2900s seem to be aluminum on the standard retail cards, whereas my Iceberq is copper, which to my understanding is better. Only difference of course is that the two-slot cooling solution shoots the hot air directly from the back of the computer whereas the downward facing fan shoots the hot air into my case and then the case fans have to worry about shooting that hot air out.

Anyway, aside from those details listed above, my question comes down to <b>would the Iceberq 5 I currently have provide a viable replacement to the stock cooling on these high-end cards??</b> And more importantly, would it fit??
oh and here's a pic of it, the thing is pretty big actually:
vt_ccb-a5c.jpg

I'm not sure if, it will fit the 8800 series, but you can try. IMO though, I think the 8800 series stock cooler, does a decent enough job to cool the card.

what i like about high end dual slot cards is that they blow the hot air out of the case. It should fit the radeon 2900 though i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom