Question about upgrading a case fan. Do I even need to do this? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Question about upgrading a case fan. Do I even need to do this?

I purchased a Thermaltake Lanbox case for my new computer build, and I read in the manual that it includes one 90MM intake fan, and two 60mm exhaust fans. The thing is that the 90mm intake fan only has a max RPM of 1500, and the 60mm exhaust fans only go as high as 1800. This seems slow compared to even the cheap ebay fans I have seen, which claim to spin up to around 3000RPM.

Are the Ebay fan's claims false? If they arent, should I upgrade the internal fans to the faster 3000RPM fans? Would this even make any difference in my cooling capabilities? I will be using 2 Hard Drives including a Raptor 10,000RPM Drive, and I hear they get pretty hot. I also may do some light Overclocking at some point, so I want to have the most efficient air cooling as possible without having to go with liquid cooling. Please help, thanks.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Question about upgrading a case fan. Do I even need to do this?

they make fans that blow at various rpms for different reasons. Fans are also configured with varoius blade angles and the number of blades also have an effect.

My point is the rpm of a fan means little in the big picture. Look for a higher cfm or pressure output.

You should just see how the included fans perform and then decide if there adaquate.
Closed Thread