Possibly buying - some questions - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Default Re: Possibly buying - some questions

How long ago did you and your friend build this computer? I helped my parents years ago and thats when computers had too many problems. I built some over 1 year ago that work excellent. Just be careful with the parts and be patient. Don't be pushing to hard on the cpu or ram cause you could injure yourself or hurt the parts.

Parts are getting more reliable now and I am not having any problems like I was back when I was helping out my parents.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It's gotten a lot clearer lately so what i'm going to to is just fix my computer. i just need advice on buying a new hard drive. chances are that i'll buy it from tiger direct. i plan on getting a 500gb seagate or a western digital

help anyone?

also, should my hard drive crash again, does it help to have partitions, like is it possible to have a hard drive crash, and still save some partitions or is all gone?

Old 11-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

seagate 7200.11
Nothing to see here.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I recently bought a computer and looked at Dell computers but in the end they were much more expensive than the HP computers. I customized one computer on Dell.com and one computer on HP.com with the same specs, in the end the HP was cheaper so i went with them.

I would definitely recommend buying an HP over buying a Dell but in the end it is your choice.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I want to throw my two cents into this. About 3 years ago i bought an Alienware because i thought just like you, and also because it wasn't my money to mess around with. So i wanted something safe,secure, and reliable. And i thought heck Alienware charges u a crapload for a pc I could build myself maybe they get better parts than the ones available at retailers. Boy was i wrong. Ive recently done some upgrades to try and keep it afloat. The memory was one of the first things to go, that cheap generic "Alienware" memory couldn't oc at all and timings were horrible. I'm still running of the same mobo and god boy is it bad, it does not oc at all, I mean I bought a peltier cooler to make my 4800 as fast or near Fx-62 speeds, but man was i wrong the mobo is holding me back. So what im trying to say is that i don't want you to do the same mistake I made. But in the end it comes down to your choice and what i said here should not dictate your decision but your current situation should. Gl with everything man.

Alienware Full Tower Aurora Case
Amd X2 4800 socket 939
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
2x 500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s (running at 1.5 Gb/s)
Radeon® X1950PRO AGP Xtreme Gamer Edition AGP x8
Logitech Z-5500 Digital
Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Channels
VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2A 92mm Thermal Electric CPU Cooler
SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM ATX12V (700 watts)
Logitech G15
LG Flatron Wide 24in
Razer Copperhead Green (First Edition)
AHS 615 Gaming Headset
Windows Vitsa Ultamite (running at 32-bit)
Closed Thread