Need help installing a hard drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_patriot2008

Baseband Member
hey all, I recently built a computer, I have an AMD athlon 64 x2 6000+ processor on a gigabyte S3 motherboard. I have a WD 500 GB sata2 hard drive on it. my question is, a friend of mine gave me a 500 gb Hitachi IDE deskstar hard drive. my motherboard only has one IDE channel and im using 2 optical drives on it and dont want to give either up. a friend told me I can get adaptors from IDE to SATA, and i found one and ordered it from ebay. I got it and I cant get it to work. I plugged it in, plugged in the power to the Hard drive and to the adaptor which required a 4 pin power supply as well and plugged the sata cord into it and to the device 1 port on the motherboard (device 0 is my sata drive) and here is the problem. with everything plugged in, two lighs light up on the adaptor, and the hard disk spins-but my computer will not recognize the hard drive. I cant see it in windows, linux, or even bios. I have messed with the jumpers, I tried the jumpers on master, slave, cable select, even tried it with no jumpers. even tried plugging the sata cable into differet sata slots on my motherboard, and I cant get my computer to recognize it. the hard drive works, I unplugged my dvd drive and plugged it into the IDE channel and it worked fine, but like i said i need both slots on my IDE channel. any advice on how to work it? also, the adaptor is only made for sata1, and my motherboard is sata II, but I read in another forum that sata is forwards and backwards compatible. is that true? or do I need to order a different adaptor? the adaptor is a nameless one from an ebay company, the hard drive is a hiachi deskstar, and my motherboard is a gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 with 4 SATAII slots. any helpful advice on how to get it to work would be mucho appreciated. is it something im doing wrong or do I need to get a new adaptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom