Need Help Choosing Parts for New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far this is what I am going with. Still going to look around alittle bit or if anyone has any more suggestions they will definitely be considered.

Mobo:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Video Card:
Newegg.com - MSI N9600GT 512M OC GeForce 9600GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics

RAM:
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory X2

Case:
Newegg.com - Rosewill R5717-P BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case withTool-Free kits - Computer Cases

PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

Hard Drive:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

CD/DVD Drive:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

This comes to $786.91. That is without the mail-in rebates(unless newegg includes those when it adds up the price), which would subtract close to $100 off the price.

This is the most important part. Will this build be able to handle high-end graphics games on low settings? I don't care so much about how a game looks, I just want to be able to play it without the system lagging.

The video card isn't alot of money, so I figure in a year maybe I could always upgrade to a better one. Hopefully the mobo will be able to handle it.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to help me out!!

That system shoould be able to run most games at max settings if you are not gaming on a huge monitor (>22"). Even if you are using a large monitor it will definatly be able to run everything on low settings without lag.

That system shoould be able to run most games at max settings if you are not gaming on a huge monitor (>22"). Even if you are using a large monitor it will definatly be able to run everything on low settings without lag.

that is excellent news. my monitor is only 15"

oh and is vista 32-bit home premium capable of detecting 4GB of RAM? I remember reading about it somewhere that it had problems detecting all the RAM.

I have vista for my laptop, but it only has 2GB of RAM so I never worried about it.

Even with the OS software, it looks like I will only spend around $800(after the mail-in rebates)!!!!!!! That is great news!!!

Edit: Just looked at the CPU I have listed and it says it doesn't come with any cooling device, just the chip. Would I have to buy a cooling device for it?

Edit2: I realized that I would need a heatsink/fan for the CPU. After looking at heatsinks and fans, I realized that it would actually be cheaper to get a different mobo with a heatsink and fan included such as:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

Will this CPU work with my motherboard and PSU? I'm pretty sure the motherboard will support it, but I have no idea what to look for when picking out a power supply for the CPU.

You will need a 64 bit OS to use all 4gb of ram. All 32 bit operating systems (Vista 32bit, Xp , Linux) can only use a maximum of about 3.5 gb of ram.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - Operating Systems

The E8400 is an excellent cpu and will work fine with your mobo and psu. Be aware that it can be difficult to find them in stock.

If you do decide to get a cpu that does not come with cooling I recommend the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro. It is allot better than stock cooling and comes with excellent thermal paste.

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Thank You.

I thought i read something about Vista 32bit SP1 supporting 4gb of ram. must have been mistaken. either way they are both the same amount of money so why not go with the 64bit version.

Yeah. Looks like I will have to wait alittle to get that CPU. I need to wait 2 weeks anyway to buy the parts, so might as well wait to see if newegg gets any in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom