Need help building a budgeted gaming system (amateur) - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: Need help building a budgeted gaming system (amateur)

The root problem for this I think is the WLAN Autoconfig, checking for new networks every 60 seconds. to disable this i go to run > services.msc, and scroll down to WLAN Autoconfig and disable it.. but the problem is that when I disable it, I can't detect my network so I can't connect.

This Autoconfig is only in Vista so what I need to do is install XP drivers for this adapter. The problem is that linksys does not have 64 bit drivers for XP so I have to use ralink or some other driver.

I do not get any error code - the error I get when trying to install any of the Ralink Drivers is this :

Windows was unable to install your network controller

Windows could not find driver software for your device

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.

The Ralink Wire Lan Card Utility/Status is just a big black X... the Ralink utility/status ONLY works when I install the Linksys driver from my cd that came with my Linksys adapter. That is the only driver I can get it to recognize and thus the only driver I can access the internet with, for this adapter at least.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I fixed it!!! Not exactly sure how - but the important thing is that it is fixed :}. My little brother has been gaming for hours without a lag spike!

I did several things - I'm not sure what fixed it - here is what I did :

1. Installed 3rd party firmware on my router (Tomato).
2. Enabled Frame Burst and AutoBurner in the Tomato settings.
3. Replaced my Linksys adapter with a SpeedBooster adapter (same adapter, just with speedbooster).

That's it. No Ralink drivers, no anti-lag software, or anything, just used the drivers from the linksys CD. I don't know what it was, it says on the box speedboster only works with XP and 2000.. but I heard people saying they utilized their non-speedbooster router to work with their speedbooster adapter via 3rd party firmware. Maybe that's what I did (I know afterburner enables speedbooster). But I don't see how that would fix it anyway.. whatever, who cares! I'm getting excellent/very good signal with great latency!

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Hello all.

The PC is running great - but I have this error. My videocard has this error. My ASUS video card came with a software called "ASUS SmartDoctor" - I think it just monitors my video card and allows me to overclock and adjust other settings. I haven't messed with any of it.

But the other day, I get this error from SmartDoctor:

VGA's voltage is out of safe bound. Motherboard doesn't supply reliable 12.0 voltage. Contact with its manufacturer for help.

What does this mean and how do I fix it? Is my video card overheating? I am not familiar with overclocking.

Closed Thread