Motherboard and case replacement.

In this case, it's crucial you don't post misinformation so the guy doesn't screw up his hardware. When you replace a motherboard, the CPU and cooling comes off to be put on the new board. Period. When you do this, it requires new paste. You cannot reuse the old paste.

Now see this is why I am glad I posted here. I would have really missed things up. So now I am watching youtube videos on how to remove the old paste before I apply new paste.

I never said to reuse the paste. I'm just saying I have in the past used the same processor FAN for other systems. FANs do not require thermal paste to operate. Just space and a certain electrical plug for the mobo. But yes never reuse thermal paste.
Your answer to his question makes it sound like he doesn't need to take the stock fan off the original board when he swaps boards. It's either that, or the question was poorly written.

To be absolutely certain to the OP, when you swap the motherboard out you can reuse the stock CPU cooler but you must place the CPU in the new board, clean the old paste off both the stock cooler AND CPU with a coffee filter or qtips and 91% isopropyl alcohol, and reapply new paste before putting the heatsink on. Old paste dries up rather quickly when air hits it and will not fill the micro crevices like new paste.

Back
Top Bottom