I need some help deciding on parts for a new build please - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Talking I need some help deciding on parts for a new build please

I'm going to be building a computer soon, and would like some help with deciding on some parts, if anyone would like to help with decisions, that would be great!

OBJECTIVE: I don't need anything super fancy for a build, but I do want bang for the buck of course. I am looking at a budget of about $600, but would like to trim it to $500-$550 if possible. I plan on using Win 7. Would like to dual-boot with Linux later at some point after everything is completed. I'm not a gamer, but just want a new system for reliable service when I want it.

I also would like to have as much RAM as possible to go with whatever motherboard I buy, because it seems that RAM is always the first thing to go obsolete before other things. I'm also wanting to go with a SATA hard drive. Seagate, Western Digital ? Either would be fine I think.

I have a Broadcom NIC that I will probably use.

As for a case, I have several cases, old HP ATX cases, etc., that I could use, so I don't really think I need one but wouldn't against some kind of package deal either.

I already have a graphics card I will be using. It's a GeForce 8400 GS.

As for a CPU, either Intel or AMD is good, not partial to one over the other except for price considerations.

If I have forgotten to mention anything, please let me know and I will post back. Thanks !

EDIT: Oh, and things like audio, just would like audio to be descent. Nothing fancy.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

Default Re: I need some help deciding on parts for a new build please

well, i guess this could be a start for $504.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
two Newegg.com - G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBHK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

i dont know if you are going to include a new os into the budget though.

if you want to reduce the cost a bit, you can see if you have on old optical drive you can reuse, save you $30 right there. you can also go for cas 5 ram instead of cas 4, which if you would plan on buying two sets, would save you $20. this is the alternate ram.
Newegg.com - OCZ Blade Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model OCZ2B800C54GK - Desktop Memory

you can also give the x2 550 a shot instead of the 720 and save a further $20, since the 550 paired with that mobo seems to give some real good chances of unlocking it into a quad with the good ol' ACC feature in teh bios.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post

i dont know if you are going to include a new os into the budget though.
^ ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
OBJECTIVE: I don't need anything super fancy for a build, but I do want bang for the buck of course. I am looking at a budget of about $600, but would like to trim it to $500-$550 if possible. I plan on using Win 7. Would like to dual-boot with Linux later at some point after everything is completed. I'm not a gamer, but just want a new system for reliable service when I want it.
Thank you for your response, Muffin Man. I really appreciate the input.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

You can't get windows 7 for free anymore. Build seems good though.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 09-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

oh, idk how that slipped by. im slackin
Old 09-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

And the GeForce 8400 video card I mentioned will work with this as well ? I hope so, but I'm just making sure, because that is the newest component I have (only a few months old) and I want to use it if it will work with this motherboard.

And again, thanks for the replies Muffin and kmote !
Old 09-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

This looks like a solid build Muffin Man.

But the other ram is deactivated ;o;

I am thinking of incorporating this in a future friends build to play AION. Should a tri-core be used on Aion and Windows XP? Or No?

Steam @ objecterror
Old 09-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

64 or 32 bit? No point getting that much RAM if you can't use it all. Oldskool, I don't think they made an AGP 8400GS so you should be fine.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 09-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmote View Post
64 or 32 bit? No point getting that much RAM if you can't use it all. Oldskool, I don't think they made an AGP 8400GS so you should be fine.
32Bit OS. Can you suggest a good ram package? Or will anything 6400 @ 2GB suffice?

Steam @ objecterror
Old 09-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

wow... i never thought it would get deactivated. well last time i checked there was still a few other good sets at the same price point and performance of the alternative ram i had linked, so if youre looking for some, ill help you find it. also, aslong as your 8400 is pci-e, it should work.

@ objecterror, the fact that its a tri-core wont make it incompatible or anything like that, unless you were talking performance wise, then i guess you also have to look at what graphics card is going in the build, but that cpu is good.

but, i dont understand what you mean by "Or will anything 6400 @ 2GB suffice?", whats 6400?

Closed Thread