How much would this Custom build be worth brand named? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default How much would this Custom build be worth brand named?

Hello everybody,

I have a question out of interest.

So I am building a computer, and I was wondering how much a computer with these specs would be worth if I bought it premade.

Case : Casecom Shiny Black Mid Tower Case with Front 120mm.. | - Simple Case
MOBO : As M4A88T-M/USB3 880G Socket AM3 DVI VGA HDMI Out 8.. |
Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz.. |
GPU : Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition Dual DVI HDMI.. |
RAM : Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5.. |
PSU : 750W CIT Gold Edition
HDD : Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm.. |
Optical Drive : Samsung SH-S222A 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM IDE.. | - Simple OD

I've got an extra fan or two to put inside. Might over clock and water cool eventually.
This is my first build. Only have to buy GPU, RAM, Mobo, Processor, and have bought the PSU, got everything else, including OS

So how much would that be worth, say from, an actual PC Store.

Thanks Guys.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: How much would this Custom build be worth brand named?

Depends on the store. Some might up the price by $100, some by $300

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 02-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I can tell you I have gone through nearly every brand name PC in retail stores, and the one I'm building blows the socks off the $700+ for only $530. It will most likely be viable for the next couple of years too. For me at least.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I spent $500 3 weeks ago for these parts and runs real strong for a client that I helped. Here are the parts that I got for my latest computer build for a client for the components that you want to purchase.

ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD ... $70 (great board even though it is micro ATX)
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 ... $50 (You can always add more ram when you need it)
AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ ... I paid $110 (Your processor would be around $150 for a good price online)
ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5770 $150

But this setup runs everything real well and takes anything you throw at it. Is hooked up to a 27" monitor and is hooked up to a 46" plasma. But I am thinking you are looking at spending between $450-$600 (depending on how strong you go with the MB and GPU) online and it should be a beast and good for a few years. I prefer asus MB due to it's ease of OC'in. Also don't go to light on the GPU spend between ($150-$200 in that range you get the best bang for the buck) if your budget is around the $600 range. There is no need to get the top of the line card unless you have extra money or looking for a serrious gaming rig, GPU card technolgy grows real fast and before you know it that new top card is not the top anymore after 6 months or so.

On my gaming computer I am running 2 8800 GTS in SLI and it can take anything I throw at it with an athlon X2 6400 OC' to 3.5 ghs and and everything is 2 years old. But I paid $300 for each of them back then.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well look at the part lists Id say wit Dell with a complete system it would usually run between $8-900, and sometimes they have monitor specials with desktops then its around $1k
Closed Thread