Home Media Streaming and Backup server? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Home Media Streaming and Backup server?

I need suggestions for a media streaming and backup server. I'm not sure what Kind of Hardware to use... I was looking at boards with the atom processor (Specifically D425 and D525) but most only have two SATA ports, and that is probably a bad thing considering this will be used for backups. Also most only have a PCI slot so I can't really get a SATA 3.0GB/s PCI card for extra slots.

Could you all give me some suggestions on Hardware? or tell me your setup if you have one?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: Home Media Streaming and Backup server?

My server is an old dual processor beast with only about 1TB of space so it doesn't really apply here. SATA cards are available for PCI but a better featured board might be useful.
How much data do you have? What is your plan for doing backups? What is your budget?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Well, I'm going to re-rip my CD's with dB power amp into FLAC files, so I should save 50GB-500GB for that. and then system backups, etc. So I was thinking 1.5TB total or 1TB in raid 1? I don't know.

EDIT: If I can get the build under $350 I think that would be great. For backups, I was thinking of every month or two weeks.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Nothing?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

If it was just a backup server, I'd say get the most barebones underpowered kit you can find and grab two 1tb drives and raid it on that.

BUT, seeing as you want to be streaming media as well, that could change things. Higher quality streams can strain low-end hardware pretty easily. Maybe pick up something with integrated graphics? E.g.
Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100

Of course you'd only need that if you were indeed streaming high bitrate video or anything similar. If you're not, then first sentence is what you should do.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

I didn't know they had a core i3 sandy bridge processor out. How well do those things perform in comparison to a quad core athlon or first generation i3?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Seeing that I think I might as well save for a 2500k build and use my current machine for a streaming server...
Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yeah, the new Sandy Bridge CPUs are monsters especially for the price you pay. Epic
Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

This is kind of off-topic but do you know anything about the Silverstone Raven RV02 case? I really like the design.

Closed Thread