Help building a budget gaming pc - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Camden
Default Help building a budget gaming pc

Topic says it. I've been flipping through stickies and reviews, but there are so many options and what not that it's starting to overwhelm me lol. So here's what I need

I mostly just play WoW and counterstrike. I tend to multitask a lot as well (other programs in the background while playing). It will also be used for a CAD program, but it's not too graphically demanding. I'd like to be able to play at at least medium settings (though details are far less important than maintaining solid fps in, say, 25 man raids).

I don't plan to overclock at all, but it'll be left on

I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. I may also not need to worry about an optical drive or OS, I'll have to doublecheck on this and edit accordingly (most likely I won't have to worry about an OS, a drive is 50/50).

I do need to buy a hard drive, but I don't need large amounts of space - I have external ones for storing music and work. On my laptop I hardly even used half of the paltry 75 gigs of space

My budget is pretty tight - if possible I'd like to spend under $700

Thanks in advance! I feel like I may have forgotten something; I'll edit if I remember, or ask about something you need to know that I may have left out

Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Help building a budget gaming pc

Do you need a case as well?
PSU and GPU: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
CPU and Mobo: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
RAM: Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996746 - Desktop Memory
HDD:Newegg.com - SAMSUNG HD161HJ 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
total is $726

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 11-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

Default Re: Help building a budget gaming pc

different build here, totals $674 + shipping w/ no optical drive. if you do end up needing one after all, that will add $25-$30. btw, if even this hdd is too big, you can choose a smaller one.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.285374

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Closed Thread