Graphics Card Upgrade Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eseren

Beta member
Hi there. Thanks for taking a look at this thread.

I'm currently using an (ancient) GeForce 4 MX 440 card in my machine. I had no need to upgrade it until recently - I discovered I was getting annoying graphical glitches in a MMORPG (Mabinogi) that I just tried out a few days ago.

Basically, I have no idea what graphics card I should buy. I've done a lot of research and looked at various cards on Newegg, but between the various specs and conflicting reports about which card has better overall performance, I'm at a loss. I don't do any high-end gaming and really only need the card for Mabinogi, and I'm also not comfortable with spending any more than $55 just to achieve that end.

I'll try to provide as much info on my system as possible. If I miss anything relevant, I apologize - I'll add it asap if that's the case.

System is a HP Pavilion a350n Desktop. System Specs Page on HP Site

The ASUS Motherboard is model P4SD-LA. It uses an AGP 8X slot, but that's all the information I could find on it relevant to this. I'm particularly worried about voltage differences between the slot and new card since I've read there are a few voltage variations of AGP slots. Motherboard Specs Page on HP Site

Also, I am using 2 GB of RAM (recently upgraded) and I believe my power supply is 250W. I could not find any information about it on the support site, so until I find the manual for the machine or open up the case, this isn't confirmed (although likely). I'm really hoping I won't have to replace the power supply as well to save a bit of cash.

As for what I'm looking at for a new card...

ASUS AH3450/HTP/256M Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
SAPPHIRE 100175L Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card
XFX PVT44AWANG GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 AGP 8X Video Card

I've been looking at these three, but as I said, I've no idea which is best or if there's a better card for my needs out there.

Any and all help/advice is appreciated. Thanks again.

A 6800 would be much, much better for you than a 6200 - however there are more more powerful ATIs which use AGP; you'll definitely want to be looking at ATI.
A 250W random power supply will probably need to be upgraded for anything much to be added.

The 1650 Pro is the better one. And for under $50, you wont get much better, but for what you need it for it doesnt look like you need anything better anyway.

Yeah so grab this:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100175L Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

And yeah your going to need to upgrade your power supply.

Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Supplies

Thats a pretty basic power supply but will keep the stuff you want chugging along (asuming it fits which is very difficult to figure out)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom