Good Deal? - Page 7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #61 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Good Deal?

vernong: Wow, that is freakin' awesome. And on only air cooling! Do you think my motherboard would be ok to overclock like that or would I need something else? And also, I just want to confirm that this motherboard is compatible with the e6750 (because of the increase to 1333 fsb i figured it might not be) -

Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #62 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by blyver View Post
vernong: Wow, that is freakin' awesome. And on only air cooling! Do you think my motherboard would be ok to overclock like that or would I need something else? And also, I just want to confirm that this motherboard is compatible with the e6750 (because of the increase to 1333 fsb i figured it might not be) -
pick up the gigabyte p35-ds3r... its gonna be my replacement.. its a mad overclocker... better than the p965 and that was a great overclocker

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-01-2007, 11:55 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
pick up the gigabyte p35-ds3r... its gonna be my replacement.. its a mad overclocker... better than the p965 and that was a great overclocker
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

here it is.....
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

Old 07-01-2007, 11:58 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
that was stock intel cooling... i wonder what an as7 can do... btw don't buy thermal paste with the af7 the thermal pad is better

Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 AM   #65 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Excellent... any recommendations on a psu that would work well with that gigabyte mobo, and the e6750 overclocked? Preferably something no more than $120
Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 AM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Excellent... any recommendations on a psu that would work well with that gigabyte mobo, and the e6750 overclocked? Preferably something no more than $120
PSUs... lol i suck with those... u might wanna ask some1 more experienced..... excellent ur gonna overclock... very good... did u order the AF7 yet?

i think u've followed every Techie Commandment except for thou shall not skimp on the power supply....

here are all of them
Builders Commandments:
1. Thou shall build thy own desktop
2. Thou shall not splurge an unnecessarily huge amount of cash, on one's build.
3. Thou shall not skimp on thy power supply.
4. Thou shall maintain one's computer clean and at cool temperatures.
5. Thou shall handle one's computer with care.
6. Thou shall always overclock and not fear to overclock.
7. Thou shall not covet thy fellow techie's computer.
8. Thou shall not bear false witness about thou's own computer. (Khan!!!)
9. Thou shall not use force when installing components, when components fit in one way.
10. Thou shall always install the latest drivers and updates.

but back to topic free bump

usually i recommend corsair 520 but thats 120$ after a MIR unless ur ok with that, its 130 w/o

Old 07-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #67 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Hehe, glad to see I'm following the commandments. You guys have converted me fast... if you go back to page one you'll see that I was originally thinking of buying a besbuy system

Yeah I've heard the corsair is really good. I'd be willing to spend the money on it. Just wondering if 520w is enough for the 8800gts plus the e6750 overclocked? There's a 620w version but that is $169.99, a bit expensive for me... but if the 520w if enough then I'd definitely get it.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:25 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Hehe, glad to see I'm following the commandments. You guys have converted me fast... if you go back to page one you'll see that I was originally thinking of buying a besbuy system

Yeah I've heard the corsair is really good. I'd be willing to spend the money on it. Just wondering if 520w is enough for the 8800gts plus the e6750 overclocked? There's a 620w version but that is $169.99, a bit expensive for me... but if the 520w if enough then I'd definitely get it.
it would be, its got the rails and the hooda hada to run it..... follow the commandments or u get sentenced to anti-heaven where u are forced to recode Windows Millenium Edition... but the 520 is really nice....

Old 07-02-2007, 12:26 AM   #69 (permalink)
Law
Wizard Techie

Yea I heard the P35 are great potential for overclocking.

blyver this should sum up the advantage and disadvantage of single and multiple rail, Multiple power supply rails explained » Power supplies » Glossary - XSReviews.co.uk - Trusted Hardware Reviews

However it gets a little more complicated than that. I like to keep reading about PSU and I'm also learning to.

blyver, there are great PSU for under $120, because you will overclock I definitely would get rid of the Rosewill, I just don't trust it much for overclocking. They are only good for stock from lowend to mid range system. I'll help you take a look and recommend some.

Edit* Don't be fool by the wattage, some PSU may have 600W but their 12v stinks. You need to pay attention to the rail.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #70 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Law: Thanks a lot man. So would you agree with vernong that the corsair 520 would be a good choice for my purposes? It's a bit more than $120 but not much. And everyone seems to recommend it.

Closed Thread