Gift Laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Gift Laptop

My parents have decided to buy me a laptop for graduation. However, last time they bought a computer without consulting me we ended up with one that is in my brothers room and plays World of Warcraft. That is all it does, because it can't run anything more than that.

I will definitely be using this laptop for papers and the like (going into college as a pre-med major) but that does not really call for much in the way of processing. What I am looking for is a laptop that can run some of the latest games (LOTR Online possibly, Battlefield 2, etc.) but will also be under $1000

Between Newegg and my local Best Buy I have found a few that I really like. The hard drive space is enough, the processor has enough power, each have at least a gig of RAM. My problem is that the graphics card always comes up with the same few numbers:

nVidia GeForce GO 6150, 6150, 7600 (May be $2000, I forget)
ATI Radeon Xpress 200m, 1150m

Can anyone give me the specs on these cards? Any suggestions would be welcomed as well.

Thank you!

Old 05-31-2007, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: Gift Laptop

Newegg.com - EVEREX XT5000T NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50(1.60GHz) 17.0" Wide XGA+ 1GB DDR2 533 100GB 5400rpm Dual layer DVD Burner NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 - Retail

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 05-31-2007, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Inquiry - The Dark Cheese

They should perform simmilar to the desktop versions, so best one would be 7600.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Geek Squad

As per your comments about going into pre-med I would suggest getting a computer that CANNOT play games. I am a major in Neuroscience at BGSU and it is an intense major, pre-med is bound to be hard as well. I plan on attending medical school before to long and games just take your time away from studying.

So again, I would get a cheapo word processor if I were you.

That is my daily dose of advice, have a nice one.

"Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power." ~Sun Tzu

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

“Omnis vir est fortunae faber”
Old 05-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshSB View Post
As per your comments about going into pre-med I would suggest getting a computer that CANNOT play games. I am a major in Neuroscience at BGSU and it is an intense major, pre-med is bound to be hard as well. I plan on attending medical school before to long and games just take your time away from studying.

So again, I would get a cheapo word processor if I were you.

That is my daily dose of advice, have a nice one.
tre... very true... don't wanna get readdicted to WoW during college, lol!!!
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Eh, I generally am pretty good about playing games. I would just like it to play games that all the desktops in my house can't.

That and I can't get re-addicted to WoW again, I've tried. It doesn't work anymore.

Also, my girlfriend is friends with one of the people doing pre-med at the college I'm going to, and he finds plenty of time to goof off.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

haha... i'd like to know where this college is. goofing off and pre-med don't go together. at least not in my experience.

that said, i'd stick with getting a new laptop. its pointless buying old technology.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It could just be how she describes him, but I've gotten well past letting video games distract me. Now its random other things like reading or watching tv.

Either way I will definitely be getting a new computer, as long as it isn't too expensive.

Closed Thread