A gift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enkognito

Solid State Member
Hey people. Here's what I'm up against. My friend has recently built a new computer that's rather nice, and since he did this, he gave me his old Dell XPS 400. Now, from prior research, I know this computer isn't the greatest, but it was free, so I can't complain. I believe it has am Intel Duo core that's 2.80 GHz, and an nVidia 7800GTX. Now, other places have said, "no don't upgrade it. It's a waste of money." "The money you put into it can be spent on a new rig." I get all this, but I don't have an amazing income of money that will allow me to build a new computer yet. So is it worth it at all to upgrade it? The reason is obviously for gaming.

Admittedly, there's only so much you can do with it.

From what I see on Dell's site it can't handle a Core2Duo CPU, but can handle the older Pentium D's (dual core and hyperthreaded).

It can handle a maximum of 4GB of RAM across four slots.

It has a single PCI-E x16 slot (where the 7800GTX is).

The original PSU was 375W, but it may have been replaced to run the 7800GTX. Check it to see what it is.

I don't remember how high the PentD's went, but you would have to go to eBay or so to find them now. Pumping up the RAM would be an easy upgrade if you don't already have 4GB, as long as you remember that it has to be 4x1GB. A newer graphics card would be another easy upgrade, but they would be limited by the throughput of your CPU (not a real issue unless you get into the current and forthcoming gen cards).

Depending on your budget you could look more toward a new system, but that one is still very functional and would work just fine. It may struggle with stuff like Crysis and GTA4, but it would still work.

Admittedly, there's only so much you can do with it.

From what I see on Dell's site it can't handle a Core2Duo CPU, but can handle the older Pentium D's (dual core and hyperthreaded).

It can handle a maximum of 4GB of RAM across four slots.

It has a single PCI-E x16 slot (where the 7800GTX is).

The original PSU was 375W, but it may have been replaced to run the 7800GTX. Check it to see what it is.

I don't remember how high the PentD's went, but you would have to go to eBay or so to find them now. Pumping up the RAM would be an easy upgrade if you don't already have 4GB, as long as you remember that it has to be 4x1GB. A newer graphics card would be another easy upgrade, but they would be limited by the throughput of your CPU (not a real issue unless you get into the current and forthcoming gen cards).

Depending on your budget you could look more toward a new system, but that one is still very functional and would work just fine. It may struggle with stuff like Crysis and GTA4, but it would still work.

It has 2 gigs of ram. As far as the PSU, I'm not sure, but I don't think he upgraded it. I've never been extremely tech savvy, but perhaps I'm just being a bit greedy heh. It can play UT2k4, CS:S, and HL2 on high, no problem, but I know I'll probably have problems with UT3, Fallout 3, and other newer games. I'll probably just wait and build a new computer. Also, I had a question about the "Barebones" kits on Tiger Direct. Is that like, just he processor, mobo, and case, and I have to fill everything else in?

The 7800 series were decent cards, so you should be able to coast for a bit. I used to have one. ;)

Barebones are just that... partial combos. Most of the time the parts in a barebones are crap, though. Once you firm up a budget let us know and we'll put together a good build list for you (from NewEgg, FTW).

It's good to have you with us.

While most times the biggest/newest/fastest gets pushed pretty hard, we will try to keep things within whatever budget you have. most times, anyway. :D

You could run CPU-Z (click the link) to see exactly what processor and RAM speed you have. You could get a cheaper 9800 series card for a decent price that would give you good performance. But, as Trotter said, you might be held back by the CPU and if the PSU hasn't been upgraded, most definitely that too.

CPUID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom