A Few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brtnboarder495

Daemon Poster
If a computer comes with PC2100 memory, can I put PC3200 memory in the memory slots on the motherboard? As long as I don't try putting a different kind of memory but DDR in the memory slots, it should work flawlessly right?

When I open a pre-built computer for the first time, must I beware of being electracuted? I know that the static charge built up in the human body can damage the hardware unless you discharge it from your body (which I know how to do), but is there any way that by touching any component or area of the computer that can shock or damage me?

My current computer has a Celeron 2.5ghz CPU. It's socket 478, and is a 130nm type. I hope to upgrade to a Socket 478 Pentium 4 3.0ghz 90nm type. Does the different "size" in the "type" of the CPU make a difference? Will going from a 130nm to 90nm be an issue?

Brtnboarder495 said:
If a computer comes with PC2100 memory, can I put PC3200 memory in the memory slots on the motherboard? As long as I don't try putting a different kind of memory but DDR in the memory slots, it should work flawlessly right?

When I open a pre-built computer for the first time, must I beware of being electracuted? I know that the static charge built up in the human body can damage the hardware unless you discharge it from your body (which I know how to do), but is there any way that by touching any component or area of the computer that can shock or damage me?

My current computer has a Celeron 2.5ghz CPU. It's socket 478, and is a 130nm type. I hope to upgrade to a Socket 478 Pentium 4 3.0ghz 90nm type. Does the different "size" in the "type" of the CPU make a difference? Will going from a 130nm to 90nm be an issue?

1) no you can't put PC3200 memory in a PC2100 mobo.
2) no ESD will occur if you are grounded, and you don't have to worry about an electrical current going through you unless your PSU is open and your working on it.

GuitarFreak, I've used PC 3200 ram in PC 2100 slots. It works fine. It helped me in extremely cheap overclocking. Since it was DDR 226 (PC 2100), then I got the extremely affordable PC 3200.

Just touch a metal portion of the chassis to ground yourself. The only thing you SHOULDN'T do is open up the PSU and fool around. Keep the PSU closed and you'll be safe.

Ryan

THe PC3200 will work it will just downclock, like ^ said touch a metal part in the case, dont move around, dont wear socks, dont work on carpet ;) then you will be safe. :D

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
GuitarFreak, I've used PC 3200 ram in PC 2100 slots. It works fine. It helped me in extremely cheap overclocking. Since it was DDR 226 (PC 2100), then I got the extremely affordable PC 3200.
Ryan

Mah B.

Grr wait ...

So if I take out all the memory in the slots, and place 2 sticks of 512 PC 3200 (400mhz) memory in the motherboard, it will operate at PC2100 speeds (266mhz)?

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of putting PC3200 memory in then? Might as well buy PC2100 memory then right?

Is there a huge performance jump from PC2100 to PC3200?

But the PC3200 memory will provide the exact same performance as the PC2100 then?

Is PC2100 a big performance loss from PC3200?

Brtnboarder495 said:

No, go with the PC3200, you can easily OC the ram also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom