Dell vs HP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Dell vs HP

Well I can't afford to build a custom computer from monarch or pcclub, and I'm not going to build my own pc again(I just want the whole thing at once, and if even one part is bad I can send it back without having to go through a lot of troubleshooting and exchanging parts to diagnose what might be wrong, I'm done with building computers for the time being)...So after much research I have narrowed my search down to two PCs, the Dell E521 and the HP Pavilion a1600n(I don't want to buy a manufactured computer, but funds say otherwise). They are pretty similiar...They have the same processer(x2 3800+), the same memory(1g ddr2 dual channel 533), the same motherboard chipsets, expansion slots, same onboard graphics and video....The main diff between them is that the Pavilion has lightscribe on the dvd-rw and 40g of more hdd space (200 vs dell's 160), with a different looking case although the psu and front/back plug ins are nearly identical and the Dell has a 7300LE(wow....woot?). I was going to put my old x800xl and sound blaster live cards in the one I buy and someday, in who knows how long from now, there is a chance that I may be able to afford the upgrade to 2g of dual channel ddr2 667....

So my main question is.....Who has better customer service/quality? Dell or HP? The HP costs only $5 more. Thx for reading.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Btw here is the Dell just in case.....
Click the tab that says tech specs, have it set up with 1g memory and 160g hdd...

Here is the HP....

Old 10-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would go with the HP sure its a little more but it is definately going to be faster.

If your gaming you will need a better graphics card for todays games.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Anything but a Dell...

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 10-06-2006, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thx for the advice, as for a better graphics card.....Maybe someday, but I have confidence that my x800xl will last me for awhile, I mean I don't need to play the latest games on super high settings, I can go medium and even low if need be.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

I'm not a fan of Dell either, but when they started using AMD I decided to give them a shot and check them out, and the price was right(unusual for a Dell PC, as I remember they used to charge quite a bit for stupid parts). Also couldn't believe that you could put non-Dell parts into them nowdays, much less that it wouldn't void the warrently at all.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

HP and Lenovo...they are the best prebuilt computer makers...don't buy anything dell makes except for some monitors
PC Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13ghz
Gigabyte P35-S3 Motherboard
A-DATA 2x1GB DDR2 800mhz memory
Geforce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express
Old 10-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

HP is better than dell, just buy a decent video card along with the HP you chose.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

HP is a good brand, support is decent. I recommend them over Dell on a daily basis at work. One nice thing about HP too is that Circuit City recently started doing warranty work for them. So if you have a problem and you're covered by HP's waranty you can just bring it to a Circuit City and they'll do diagnostics on it, get the parts and do all the labor totally free for you. This is great because you won't have to call India and beg for them to mail you parts.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Alright, thx guys. I think I'm going to go with the HP, it costs the same as the dell if you get it at bestbuy only it also comes with lightscribe and 40g more memory. As for circuit city, I have heard that its not that great of a store to buy from...Plus its $35 more there but with an $85 rebate (which I have heard that they don't really honor their rebates). Walmart sells it $5 more...Which store would be the best to buy it from?

Closed Thread