From decent computer to performance computer! Upgrading help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's be a good idea.. It'd only take you a few $100 more and you could do it!

Also, if you need more funds you could always try selling off your old rig right before you buy the new stuff

Well I think I found enough sources to show that an AMD Phenom II processor indeed works on my motherboard.
I don't even care anymore if it isn't the 955. As long as it doesn't go below the 940, i'm happy >;]

AMD Phenom II X4: 45nm Benchmarked : The Phenom II And AMD's Dragon Platform - Review Tom's Hardware
The improvements are manifest in a revised transistor count. Phenom II boasts roughly 758 million transistors, up from right around 450 million. As with its predecessor, the original Phenom, Phenom II drops into nearly every Socket AM2 motherboard. This gives the Phenom II broad appeal to the upgrade crowd, many of whom have long sought improved performance for their AMD systems.

AM2 Phenom support - XtremeSystems Forums

Phenom 2 on AM2 a good idea or not so?

What do you guys think?

The 940 is very close to the performance of the 955 for about 80 less usd. Use the saved money on your videocard or something of the sort. If you get up your courage you can even overclock it those 200mhz ;P

The problem being referred to with these not working on your motherboard isn't the socket type. AM2, AM2+ and AM3 sockets are all compatible as far as fitting goes. The problem is your mobo probably doesn't support the power requirements for the newer phenoms. At least that is what I would guess.

If you get a new power supply many of us would recommend Corsair, and Antec psu are also nice. You can get a good Antec 300 case with an antec 500ish watt psu in a combo deal for about 100 usd at newegg, and it would serve your purposes with a single 4870.

let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. if you decide to build a new rig we are here for support =]

Well I think I found enough sources to show that an AMD Phenom II processor indeed works on my motherboard.
I don't even care anymore if it isn't the 955. As long as it doesn't go below the 940, i'm happy >;]

AMD Phenom II X4: 45nm Benchmarked : The Phenom II And AMD's Dragon Platform - Review Tom's Hardware

AM2 Phenom support - XtremeSystems Forums

Phenom 2 on AM2 a good idea or not so?

What do you guys think?

Well, yes the Phenom II will fit in any AM2 board. Does it boot with the board? Not necessarily mate, a lot of users were left in the dust when it came to Phenom support (yours didn't) and then PII came out, and a lot more of those issues arose.

The 940 is very close to the performance of the 955 for about 80 less usd. Use the saved money on your videocard or something of the sort. If you get up your courage you can even overclock it those 200mhz ;P

The problem being referred to with these not working on your motherboard isn't the socket type. AM2, AM2+ and AM3 sockets are all compatible as far as fitting goes. The problem is your mobo probably doesn't support the power requirements for the newer phenoms. At least that is what I would guess.

If you get a new power supply many of us would recommend Corsair, and Antec psu are also nice. You can get a good Antec 300 case with an antec 500ish watt psu in a combo deal for about 100 usd at newegg, and it would serve your purposes with a single 4870.

let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. if you decide to build a new rig we are here for support =]

Yeah I'll probably end up not building a new PC.
If my mobo doesn't support the power requirements of the Phenom II, and I put it in anyways, along with a new PSU, is there a chance my motherboard would fry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom