Comparing two PCs? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Comparing two PCs?

Hey guys. I've got a decision to make on which PC to buy, and I'd like your input.

I don't have much of the specs of these computers, but what I do have, I'll post. If I haven't posted something, its the same in them, I don't know it, or I'm planning to upgrade it anyway.

So the two PCs are:

3.0gHz Pentium D Processor
3gb DDR Ram

vs.

3.4gHz Pentium4 Processor w/ HT
4gb DDR2 Ram.

I'd like to know which is the better machine to buy for two different situations.
1.regular, light user.
2. Heavy use with multiple heavy programs (photoshop, dreamweaver, filezilla, as well as some internet & msn windows open)

I'd also like to know, if you choose the pentium 4 as better, if adding 1GB more ram to the Pentium D will change anything.

Thank you so much.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: Comparing two PCs?

Both are rubbish but the pentium D is better. Leave it with 3GB. Since there is no price listed I will assume that they are the same price - in that case the pentium D will be better in both situations. Is there a reason why you are buying such old tech?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

^ agreed. both suck. i had a pentium D and it wont too bad for gameing but you can forget about doing benchmarking

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 03-05-2009, 04:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

like the other two said they both suck but go for the

Pentium D

how much u have to spend on a computer by the way?
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB
Areocool 750W Semi Modular PSU
Old 03-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudue View Post
Hey guys. I've got a decision to make on which PC to buy, and I'd like your input.

I don't have much of the specs of these computers, but what I do have, I'll post. If I haven't posted something, its the same in them, I don't know it, or I'm planning to upgrade it anyway.

So the two PCs are:

3.0gHz Pentium D Processor
3gb DDR Ram

vs.

3.4gHz Pentium4 Processor w/ HT
4gb DDR2 Ram.

I'd like to know which is the better machine to buy for two different situations.
1.regular, light user.
2. Heavy use with multiple heavy programs (photoshop, dreamweaver, filezilla, as well as some internet & msn windows open)

I'd also like to know, if you choose the pentium 4 as better, if adding 1GB more ram to the Pentium D will change anything.

Thank you so much.
Your programs are RAM intensive, plus the P4 is HT, making it act like a two core Pentium 4 @ 3.4ghz

Where as the Pentium D is the same thing.. two Pentium 4's @ 3.0ghz..

Go with the Pentium 4 rig with the extra RAM, but both are really crappy for what you need
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 03-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

How much are these two computers?

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I would get the P4, mainly because with the DDR2 RAM, I'm almost certain it's a socket 775, so you could upgrade later.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that before someone points it out: I know Pentium D is 775, but if you upgrade that socket, you'll be stuck with DDR RAM, and who knows what that motherboard supports, since it's probably older. The P4 mobo has DDR2, which is standard now, and it may be a new board with more compatibility.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 03-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

First off, as others have asked, how much are these two PC's in question? With that kind of old technology, I wouldn't be paying over $100-150 on them (and that's assuming all the parts are new). If it has used parts, I wouldn't pay more than $50, personally, though they may have slightly more worth than that in actuality.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 03-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yeah, if we knew the exact parts, it would be easier to tell you if EITHER of them are worth the deal. If you're paying more than 150 bucks for either, we could build you a nice machine for cheap, if you didn't mind spending a bit more money.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 03-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I actually paid $350 for the 3.4ghz one, Off-lease (refurbished from "fortune 500 companies")

I was gonna spend about $150 more on a graphics card, since m old one is crummy and AGP.

My budget if I were to build one from scratch would be ~400-500, and I already have the sound card (Sound Blaster Audigy 4). I think currently I can get 2gb DDR2 ram for $30, that is really the only deal I know of.
I still have a few days to return this, so if you guys could come up with a better alternative I would love to hear it.
Also, I am in Toronto, Canada, so I can take advantage of any deal pricing you may know there, but probably wouldn't be able to buy something from newegg.com for example.

Thanks so much for your help to date.

Closed Thread