Built a new computer...NO POWER!!! HELP!!! - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via ICQ to imconfused Send a message via AIM to imconfused Send a message via MSN to imconfused Send a message via Yahoo to imconfused
Default Re: Built a new computer...NO POWER!!! HELP!!!

i've been trying to find out what the connection on the video card is and it seems to me that it's a connection for a 5 volt fan with a two pin connection so why would i be trying to buy a 4-pin to 2-pin converter to plug the power supply into it. also i can't seem to find any such thing as a converter like that anywhere on the internet so could you help me maybe find a link to it someplace?

- Intel D945GCPE Socket 775 Mobo
- Intel Pentium D 925 3.0GHz OEM CPU
- Thermaltake CL-P0378 90mm CPU Cooler
- Ultra 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 Memory
- Maxtor DiamondMax 21 200GB HD
- Sony NEC Optiarc 18x DVD Burner
- nVidia GeForce FX5200 256MB PCI GPU
- Aspire Blue Aluminum Tri-Fan 520-Watt PSU
- Power Up ATX Silver Mid Tower
Old 10-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

whats the pci card?

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via ICQ to imconfused Send a message via AIM to imconfused Send a message via MSN to imconfused Send a message via Yahoo to imconfused

nVidia GeForce FX5200

Old 10-20-2007, 05:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

can you take a pic of the card?
cause i don't see any pics of the 5200 pci w/ any kind of connector on them.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Techie

here's a link to the site on tigerdirect.com where i bought it from, one of the larger pics has a good view of directly overtop of the card and it shows the connection i'm talking about.

PNY Verto GeForce FX 5200 Video Card - 256MB DDR, PCI, Dual VGA, TV Out, Video Card VCGFX522PPB at TigerDirect.com

Old 10-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

oooooohhh its the little thing, that looks like a SYS FAN connection. I think thats if your gonna put an aftermarket cooling system on. like a fan. but um. i was thinking of something different for a connection. but yeah so that doesn't need to have anything plugged into it.

so yeah, if you can try a new PSU that should be your next step.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:48 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Techie

the power supply i had to test with isn't compatible with the mobo so i can't do a power supply test. any other suggestions? the only thing i have left to do is contact tigerdirect.com or intel and intel's support number is a 900 # so i don't really wanna call them unless i really have to...please let me know if anyone has anymore suggestions!!!

Old 10-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i've tried all combinations possible that i could think of for testing out the onboard video and the pci video card and i still can't get a display. i finally got sick of it and called tigerdirect.com today and talked to their support. i was informed that by the sounds of it my board is bad and that's why the display won't work and the cpu fan won't work off the connection designated for it. they are sending me a replacement mobo and it will arrive in a few days so i can try again then. thanks all for all of your help and support!

Old 10-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

can you buy a cheapo PSU just to check? if it is the PSU return the cheapo PSU saying its not what you wanted, retunr the barebone saying its faulty, whola new functioning barebone
Old 10-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Idealist Gamer

I'm a novice at computer building but from just this thread alone it sounds like the mobo was short circuited when you forgot seperate it from the case. I mean that came to mind immediately after you said you forgot so I'm kind of curious why it took up until you called tech support to realize that.

Oh well good luck. I guess you won't have it ready in time for your mom then. I'm sure she'll appreciate the effort even if it takes a little longer ^_^.

Closed Thread