Adding a second HDD
I'm thinking of adding a second hard drive to my system (to serve as the main HD and use the current one for file storage). I have a few questions:
1. the current HD is IDE, but i'm thinking of getting a SATA HD. My mobo (asus a8v-e deluxe) seems to have SATA ports, so it shouldn't be a problem having both types installed, right?
2. because the drives would be different types, would I have to change the IDE from master to slave? or could I just leave it as is, and set the boot priority to the SATA drive, in BIOS?
...btw, my computer knowledge is more than, "this coffee mug holder named "DVD" is darn-sure handy!!"... but i ain't certainly no expert. So please forgive me if these questions (like #2) don't make sense.
3. To format the new (primary drive) can I just use my WinXP CD, or do I have to make a boot disk / use fdisk blah blah blah...?
4. (silly question) Can I give the new HD a new drive letter other than C: when formatting it?
5. Will I have any conflicts between devices and drivers from the old HD and the new one? Should I delete all the devices from the old drive and install them to the new one? Are they ok to stay on the old drive? Should both drives have everyting installed?????
That's all the questions I can come up with right now.... I might have more later. If anyone can enlighten me, I'd be very grateful for the help. And if I missed any important points, i'd love to hear from you.