Hello all - I'm new to the forums as a member, though I have been reading them for some time and have found them extremely valuable.
I'm looking for some assistance with a new build I'm tackling. I'm trying to put together the best gaming PC for $500. Yes, I know, that's not much to work with for a gaming machine, so it is a challenge. I'm not necessarily looking for top of the line, just something that will work well with most games, World of Warcraft, Left 4 Dead, CSL:Source, etc. I'd like to have the settings up reasonably high, but given my price range I understand I might have to make a few sacrifices.
So here's the deal: Looking to spend $500 or less (I'm willing to go over a few bucks, but not much) on a complete PC Desktop base unit. I do not need the peripherals like a monitor, keyboard, mouse, O/S, etc. Just the base unit and all its components. These items would include:
The system can be pre-built, or constructed by me (assuming you pick parts that actually function together correctly). Feel free to link the websites/prices/etc.
As for my needs, it would include all the basics of course, with the added requirement that it play current games at reasonably high settings. I don't need a $300 video card, and I'm well aware there are plenty in the $75-125 range that will do the work I need. I'm crippling myself with the price limit and wanting a gaming machine, but that's what makes it a challenge. The first submission I received is shown below (prices shown after applicable rebates). I call on your skills fellow builders, to help me top this one. I apologize they are not links, but I'm pretty sure they're all from Newegg and prices are accurate.
- Case/Power: Raidmax Smilodon ATX-612WBP ATX Mid-Tower with 500W Power Supply - $70
- CPU: Intel Core Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8Ghz LGA775 - $119
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3r LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX - $105
- RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel - $55
- Video Card: Sapphire 100248L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x 16 HDCP Ready Crossfire Supported - $60
- Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache - $75
- DVDRW: LG 22X DVD+/-R GH22NS30 - OEM - $25
Thanks in advance to anyone who gives me a hand!