Serious spyware infection!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not quite sure how to use this unhackme program. I cannot boot windows at all anymore, it cannot even reach the login screen (in safe or regular mode) so I cant download it on my infected computer. Is there a way to run it from a cd?

Arg.

The kaspersky and Avira scans ran and found/removed a few things, but the same "KERNEL32.dll' was not found is still comming up when I try to boot the computer up. As I said in my first post, when I was initially trying to deal with this same problem, I ran a repair install with the XP cd and that allowed the computer to boot up for a few days. Should I do that again? It at least gives me access to the computer...

Also, the avira scan found, but could not heal one rootkit (amoung many trojans) it was called "protector" There was also a trojan called "virut" that had infected many, many files. The Avira scanner has an option to rename files that cannot be repaired, but I wasnt sure if that would be wise, so I didnt enable it.

Honeslty, you may be so far in the hole here, it might just be easier to backup and reinstall.

But I'll continue working with you thru this.

Yes you can go thru the repair install and take it from there

I think you might be right. I'll try to do the repair install and everything, but if this happens again or if there isnt any noticeable progress, then I'll reinstall

Epic fail. The repair install wont work b.c it cant be completed "in safe mode" and I cant really change this. After looking around a bit on the web, It seems like this is a bit of an unsolved problem. I tried a couple of potential fixes but neigher worked... So reinstall is the plan.

What Is the best way to go about a reinstall like this? Some of my data is backed up, but there is plenty of stuff on my main hard drive that I would like to keep if posible.

Here is what Ive got to work with:
Main internal HD (boot) - 160GB SATA, about 120 GB of data
Secondary internal - 400 GB SATA, about 350 GB of data
External Hard Drive - 160 GB IDE
2nd Computer - 80 GB HD, linux ubuntu

Of course, the data on the external and secondary drive is easily separated from the main drive, but I am conerned about making sure that they are not carrying anything that will reinfect my computer. UNfortunately, my external HD case only has an IDE attachment, so my internal drives cannot be used with it. I am not sure if I will have to try to move data off of the main internal drive before the reinstall or if it is possible to reinstall without losing the data from the main drive (making most of this irrelavent...)

Finally, is it possible for my linux based laptop to have been infected with something that could reinfect my main computer? If so, what should I do to prevent this?

I would detach any drive that you dont want formatted, then when windows is installed, reattach them and scan with AVG, use AVG as your AV.

Is there anyway for you to back the rest of it up?

I've installed windows on the HD that was originally my external HD and moved all of its important files and folders onto the 400 GB internal hard drive (which is now removed from the computer).

So basically, now Im booting from a 160 GB IDE drive and I need to get the data from my other, infected 160 GB SATA HD without spreading the infection... currently trying to find info on how i might best do this.

Also, I will eventually have to boot from the original(currently infected) HD or the other SATA HD, because my computer only has one IDE slot and my optical drive only has a IDE connection (The op drive is currently rigged up to my external HD enclusore and connected via USB). So I will eventually be installing windows, yet again, on one of these drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom