NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Final Specs & Pricing Revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Final Specs & Pricing Revealed!

Most of the talk is about the 480. Is the 470 meant to compete with the 5770? Hows the comparison of 470 to 5770 look?

The GTX470 is meant to compete with the 5850, not 5770.

The GTX470 is meant to compete with the 5850, not 5770.

but sadly it's more on level with the 5770 lol
Unless they drop the prices on the 470's they'll be pretty much useless.

Saying the drivers aren't mature is lame-o. Both companies begin working on perfecting their drivers LONG before the card is released....heck they do it long before they even spin A1 silicon. The 5870 hasn't seen much increase from drivers other than fixes for a few games like dirt 2 and such.

Not to mention NVIDIA even made a statement that they would have nearly perfectly optmized drivers on release.

Anyway I came across this benchmark last night which shows how good fermi actually is under the right circumstances...very interesting so I thought I'd share:

gpuo.png

lol that's such bs :|

I don't see what the argueing is about. All the benchmarks I've seen proves the 480 is 15-20% faster than a 5870, which justifies the cost.

The watts and heat issues are also kind of silly to argue about. Like I said about the power bill, if you buy high end cards you might as well spend an extra $30 of aftermarket cooling.

Plus take in all the little thing like F@H, cuda, physics, blah blah... I still think this card is slightly pulling ahead of the 5870 (and even keeping up/losing and winning in some cases with the 5970 which is the same price).

I still stick with my main point though. The card is good but for being 6 months late it's a big disappointment.

EDIT: And even after all the fighting when the dust settles a gtx260/4850 can still max just about any game out there at 1680x1050...so really there is no use even going higher than that. So if there is really no need then the performance-price thing can be argued with any card.

Nvidia's next project should be a custom case that has mounting areas for multiple PSUs. ;)

lol that's such bs :|

I don't see what the argueing is about. All the benchmarks I've seen proves the 480 is 15-20% faster than a 5870, which justifies the cost.

The watts and heat issues are also kind of silly to argue about. Like I said about the power bill, if you buy high end cards you might as well spend an extra $30 of aftermarket cooling.

Plus take in all the little thing like F@H, cuda, physics, blah blah... I still think this card is slightly pulling ahead of the 5870 (and even keeping up/losing and winning in some cases with the 5970 which is the same price).

Most of the reputable sites have the difference a bit lower at 10-15%

Have you looked at the stock cooler? It's already got 4 direct touch heatpipes and a fan that draws more power than a entire HD 5870 does at idle yet it still struggles to keep the card under 100c. You might be able to fix that with aftermarket cooling but you will pay a lot more than $30 for it.

CUDA is irrelevant now that DirectX Compute and OpenCl have been released and even before that happened it's not like many useful things used it except for folding. On the subject of F@H I'm not sure how reliable these cards would be running at 100% load 24/7 given how hot they get. Plus ATi has Eyefinity with up to 6 monitors running off a single card which is something nvidia has no counter for.

Most of the reputable sites have the difference a bit lower at 10-15%

Have you looked at the stock cooler? It's already got 4 direct touch heatpipes and a fan that draws more power than a entire HD 5870 does at idle yet it still struggles to keep the card under 100c. You might be able to fix that with aftermarket cooling but you will pay a lot more than $30 for it.

CUDA is irrelevant now that DirectX Compute and OpenCl have been released and even before that happened it's not like many useful things used it except for folding. On the subject of F@H I'm not sure how reliable these cards would be running at 100% load 24/7 given how hot they get. Plus ATi has Eyefinity with up to 6 monitors running off a single card which is something nvidia has no counter for.

Obviously everybody who is in such shock about a GTX 480 cooler has never seen a cooler off a GTX 200 series card either. They have 4 Direct touch heatpipes, or at least mine did :p They are just not as visible as the ones on a GTX 480, and dont protrude off in to space like the GTX 480s do :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom