AI - What is Mankind Actually Doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doylestown-IT

Baseband Member
Currently, I have been reading about the latest developments in robotics and AI. Engineers and Computer Scientists marvel at the day when a computer will take the human form and interact with us seamlessly; simply called a robot. If you will read through the following, I think you'll agree I have some interesting thoughts to share...
Robots and AI are already a pretty big part of our lives but in terms of true AI the devices we now have only simulate a small fraction of human intelligence. While trying to program a computer with human intelligence, scientists are looking at the human mind in many new ways. What they are actually saying is that first off the requirements for a computer system to have true AI is it must be aware of itself and its position in the real world, it must also be able to physically interact with the world, using its sensory input, and above all it must be able to learn. (learning itself is hard to define)
By observing the way a child learns to walk and then run, computer scientists are getting better ideas for programming a computer to do the same, sort of.
When a child wants to move and walk it just thinks about it and then does the action. However, a robot is constrained by its programming to analyze the terrain, calculate trajectory, shift weights, positions, and repeat. So, they are trying to bridge the gap between 'thought' and action.
Personally, I think computer systems that learn and devlop based on simple 'unconscious programming' much like a child, is the future of AI and robotics.
After that, obviously, mankind will need a clean and renewable energy source for our new friends. Friends? Yeah right, maybe. I dont know about you but I cant handle perfect digital logic, judgement and emotion, or will we have to dumb down machines to interact with us? Because you know its only a matter of time before the machines look at us and ask themselves, "Why do we even keep them around?"

Let us not forget the error of cyberdyne industries. If we give them too much AI they will kill us. Also, most computers are still smarter than the average american in this day and age.

PS yes i am american.

Let us not forget the error of cyberdyne industries. If we give them too much AI they will kill us. Also, most computers are still smarter than the average american in this day and age.

PS yes i am american.

i think it will be the most significant point in humanity when we crate AI equal too or greater than our own.

they say that its estimated to be around the same time that a) we will finally understand that the human brain the highest extent, and b) we create intelligence with that equal too or greater than humanity.

if you ask me, i find it pretty frightening. imagine if you could think logically like you do, but you were made by and controlled by racoons? if you gave a robot the basic instincts of survival that a human posseses, and maybe the judgement of one two, you are playing with fire.

if your part of the younger generation, i can promise you it is almost certainly going to happen in our lifetimes. i just hope someone passes a UN resolution or something to ban any AI from being produced with that sort of capability.

i mean its all fine if someones makes one robot mind in a university somewhere for research, but imagine having mass-produced robots designed to act as butlers, like in 'I, Robot' and they all decide to revolt.

maybe its just the next step of evolution, to be replaced by our own creations. kind of makes me wish there was a god.

no computer,or super computing grid available will ever match the potential of the human brain

Reminds me of i-Robot or Terminator movie when AI are encouraged to learn and create extended possibilities from it's original programming, hence, awareness.

no computer,or super computing grid available will ever match the potential of the human brain

how the heck can you make a statement like that? open your eyes dude. technology has advanced more in the last 20 years than it has in the previous 200 years. the rate of technological advancement is increasing more and more every year. look at the advancement of intel chips in their first year compared too now. its practical increased 10-fold. its inevitable. theyve already started making CPUs with the same power as a single brain neuron and connected them all in parralel to create an effective chunk of human brain.

uhh IBM's most powerful supercomputer couldnt even simulate half of mouses brain,so unless u have a brain he size of mouse id get off he pc and go to the brain surgeon. The Human Brain is too complex, although a pc is faster if the hman bran was used 100% the universe would colapse into itself, j/ about the universe stuff

Well as each generation goes by, and MTV and gangsta rap take over, the gap is being closed both directions.

i... dont really understand what your saying we're talking about AI here not human intelligence. unless your saying that people are getting stupider and it will be quicker before AI overtake us, but that doesnt mean people arent also getting smarter

my friend put forward a very good point, that it may not be a case of humans and robots, but more like they slowly become integrated with the human race, with things like neurological implants and prosthetic limbs, so eventually the entire human race gets diluted and replaced by technology, much like slaves left over from the slave trade period integrated into our soceity than forming their own and creating a much larger cultural clash. im talking about the UK btw, not places like Harlem over in america.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom