Your First Computer!

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone! I think it'd be a fair assumption that most members of these forums like computers for one reason or another. That being said, who here remembers what their first computer was? Not first one of a specific category, I mean the first computer you can recall owning? And what were the specs? :)

Personally, my first computer was an IBM Thinkpad i-series 1400 laptop. The specs were as follows:

Processor: 500 MHz
RAM: 64 MB
HDD: 6 GB
Graphics Processor: AGP x2 ATI RAGE Mobility (as far as I know)

I am kind of young(16) I just built my first computer a few months ago... I wonder how my specs will look in to people in 20 years or so

20 years later speaking to a kid-
when i was a kid gamers only had 4 cores, you kids these days are lucky, they start at 15 cores or more in a computer...

Gods honest truth I remember the first computer I actually owned.

A Cyrix 300mhz CPU, with 64MB RAM, and 10GB HDD. Blazing upgrade of a CD\R -\+ . :) .. ..

I was approx 9 - 12 years old..

First computer I ever used, Commodore 64. First PC I ever used, 386 with 2MB RAM, DOS 5.
First PC of my own:
Pentium 1 133MHz OCed to 150MHz
Asus Socket 7 AT Mainboard
8MB 72pin RAM
Trident super VGA 256 colors
Windows 95
dual Quantum Fireball 500MB drives.
8x Creative CD ROM
SB 16 ISA

Edit: Pic of it a year later or so.
V2SLI.jpg

Specs here are Pentium 1 MMX 233MHz
64MB PC100
Riva 128 PCI
Voodoo 2 8MB SLI
Creative SB Live! 5.1
3GB Maxtor
Not sure on CDROM.

Last edited:
Yeah I had the old commodore vic 20 and an atari 800xl

but I never bothered to build my first pc until the late 90's
with something like 750Mhz CPU, 256mb RAM, 8MB GFX and I think something like a 10GB HDD, very slow speed CD-ROM and a Floppy drive, all connected to a 14" CRT monitor

But I have built a few lower spec machines in my time as well and used lower spec ones

and I have a feeling in 20 years we wont be discussing CPU's based on cores, due to advances in quantum based processors, I think we may potentially have these CPU's in the home in the next 10-15 years

Last edited:
My first PC was an HP Pavilion with a 800Mhz Pentium 3, a CD Reader, intel integrated video, Win 98SE, and 32MB of ram. Right before I built my own machine I put a Geforce 2MX 64MB PCI video card in it for Warcraft III to run along with 512MB of PC133 SDRAM.

I then built my own machine, consisted of a MSI K7n2 with 1GB of DDR400, a Maxtor 80GB IDE drive, a DVD burner, AMD Duron 1400Mhz CPU and an ATI 9250SE.

I then eventually upgrade to a newer system, forgot the overall specs, but I had a Newcastle 2800 that could get a 60% OC on air cooling, eventually I fried the north bridge on the motherboard.

Built an AM2 rig after that with a single core 3000, upgraded to a 6000 dual, upgraded to a new motherboard for the 6000 a short while later, but the board failed catastrophically and took the cpu and ram with it, now I am sitting on my current machine, a 965BE with 8GB of ram, which I can never thank the member who gave me the CPU and board for it enough, though the board is currently in storage since I upgraded to a different board.

First computer I owned was one that my grandpa gave me. The hard drive was clicking/failing.

933 Mhz
384 MB RAM
not sure what the original HDD was
Integrated graphics
CD drive

Now it's still running (I rarely use it) but all the specs are changed:
1.4 Ghz Celeron
512 MB RAM
Seagate 160 GB HDD and WD 250 HDD
Nvidia GeForce FX2500 512 MB GPU
Original CD drive and a DVD drive.

VIC 20 and Commodore 64 for me.

WOO 1MHZ COMPUTING! I had everything but a printer...even had the 400 baud modem, cassette deck, and 3x 5 1/4" floppy disk drives.

First computer I could call my own was an old Dell XPS machine with a Pentuin III at 500 Mhz and 328MB RAM with an 8GB HDD and a 32MB vRAM nVidia card. Ran Ubuntu on it. I loved that thing.

Back
Top Bottom