the world's first photograph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, that guy needs to take some photography classes! Ha, that was a joke in case some of you didn't realize. It is pretty cool that we have it and the French don't though. Take that!

Things like that become old news when you're an art major with a concentration in Photography.

However, it's crazy when Ansel Adams (~early 1900's)has better B&W negatives than anybody shooting today. Everybody says film technology is better than ever but I dunno about that. Color, yes, but B&W, no.

i dislike B&W......I'm semi-familiar with some things Ansel Adams did, but nowadays it's like any joe blow goes and takes a picture of something, desaturates it and OH all of a sudden it's got some 'deeper meaning'.

B&W these days just makes me think of those wannabe artsy fartsy bastards that think theres some 'deeper meaning' in taking a picture of dog crap, making it black and white and calling it 'Le Finale'

Nubius said:
i dislike B&W......I'm semi-familiar with some things Ansel Adams did, but nowadays it's like any joe blow goes and takes a picture of something, desaturates it and OH all of a sudden it's got some 'deeper meaning'.

B&W these days just makes me think of those wannabe artsy fartsy bastards that think theres some 'deeper meaning' in taking a picture of dog crap, making it black and white and calling it 'Le Finale'

You can have your opinions and all, but I disagree. If a black and white photo is well made, you can tell. You can also tell if somebody either didn't put any effort into the shot, or if they just changed to greyscale in photoshop.

I work primarily in black and white, and when a single print takes a week in the darkroom, it's not artsy fartsy shit. In a lot of ways, black and white is a lot harder than color, because tonal balance and range becomes of utmost importance---you don't have color temperature helping your image out at all.

You can have your opinions and all, but I disagree. If a black and white photo is well made, you can tell. You can also tell if somebody either didn't put any effort into the shot, or if they just changed to greyscale in photoshop.

I work primarily in black and white, and when a single print takes a week in the darkroom, it's not artsy fartsy shit. In a lot of ways, black and white is a lot harder than color, because tonal balance and range becomes of utmost importance---you don't have color temperature helping your image out at all.
That's why I said "Black and white THESE DAYS"

I've seen ansel adams works and like you said, it's good stuff, and I have seen SOME that are good because (as you were pointing out) the contrast brought into your view from viewing black and white can make an image look completely different from color....however like I've emphasized, NOW-A-DAYS peoples black and white are crap.

Feel free to show me some of your B&W if you have some on the net or online portfolio or something. I'd like to see some of this that has taken you a week (which honestly I don't see how you can even do that, but I'm not in photography so it makes sense that I wouldn't know)

and I'll let you know why or why not I dislike it...not that you care, just saying from the standpoint of someone whos not particularly into photography and why my beliefs are what they are....but beyond that since you seem to be quite the photography expert/student I want to see some photography of someone that has actual practice and techniques used to come up with their 'perfect picture'

I may seem like a sarcastic bastard, but yeah that's just the way I am, I'm not insulting you, your photography, your techniques or beliefs, I'm sincerely asking to see some 'good photography' if you will because as of late I've been subjected to nothing but crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom