why to secure your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahahaha, yeah I can c my neighbours wireless network, im so tempted to cancel my service!

to secure your network you can go into your router's config and set a filter to only allow certain address to use the internet. you can also limit the number of users that DHCP assigns or limit static IP's, which increases security a tiny bit.

with advanced networking hardware you would be able to limit access by specific MAC address. i'll be able to do just that by next week as our workplace will get a new wireless G network. i am the network admin and nobody will be able to steal bandwidth to download pr0n on my watch, hehe:)

People can still get on a wireless network even if you have MAC filtering enabled. It makes it harder for people to get on but a person who was serious about hacking your network could still do it. Most people aren't going to go that far jsut to get into your network. There are many unsecured wifi networks that they can easily get into.

For a network with low traffic, just use 128-bit WEP encrypt.
This is a 32 character code with 16 possibilities per character...
Let's see.....add the 7...carry the 5....borrow the 10......

That's 36,893,488,147,419,103,232 possibilities!
I would take someone weeks with a sniffer to figure this out....especially with a SoHo network where traffic is really low.

That and enable the DHCP to just allow the nodes that you always have on. When you add another node to make the total 5 nodes, then take the DHCP available addresses from 4 to 5 available.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom