When did Dell Diagnostics get released?

krazyq

krazy Techie
Hey guys, Random question
This is about the build in diagnostics in dell, hp and several other machines.

When did dell first have the diagnostics built into their machines.

Hey guys, Random question
This is about the build in diagnostics in dell, hp and several other machines.

When did dell first have the diagnostics built into their machines.
I noticed it when Win7 was first released. Are you talking the BIOS diagnostics feature? Or their software based ones?

I noticed it when Win7 was first released. Are you talking the BIOS diagnostics feature? Or their software based ones?

The bios one, when you tap F12.
I've seen HDD Diagnostic utility on some old ones. I'm trying to get a year, or approx what year.
We got some new guy in our IT division who's been terrible. He didn't know how to run diagnostics when he's been with the company for 5 months.
Then he says that he used it like 20 years ago...
So umm yeah, hope you guys understand why i'm asking

Well, the earliest from Dell in System Diagnostics was 1995; ftp://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/oth-5-me-all.html#Diagnostics

It certainly didn't come pre-loaded into the BIOS though.

Earliest pre-built diagnostic tool looks to be around 2006; Run Built-In Diagnostics for Your Dell Computer | Dell US

First link is blocked at work...wonderful,not sure why.
Well maybe there's some truth to what he's saying.
Either way, he's hurting the team he's in...not my problem anyways.
I was kinda interested for myself anyways.
Those tests can be helpful at times.
Thanks a lot!

First link is blocked at work...wonderful,not sure why.
Probably, because it's a link to dell's ftp site (which would be downloading bad software? :p)

In 1995, seeing as it's DOS based, the tool would look nothing like what it looks like today. But come on, it doesn't take rocket science to get it to work.

Probably, because it's a link to dell's ftp site (which would be downloading bad software? :p)

In 1995, seeing as it's DOS based, the tool would look nothing like what it looks like today. But come on, it doesn't take rocket science to get it to work.

all our machines are Dell, you would think we would get access...
Well yeah you're right, if he says he's been a tech for that long and he owned his own firm.
He's been in the company for 5 months doing builds...
He didn't even know how to tap F12 when someone told him it was F12.
Rumor is that he's not happy and looking elsewhere.

Well thanks again, you get a rep from me!

With Servers about 2000, they have a limited version they run on domestic machines.h

Back
Top Bottom