What You've Just Bought!

What games does he play ?

Im running RL at 1440p 60fps and PUBG at 1080p 50FPS with my POS rig with an 1300X.

The 1400 would easily suffice.

He'll be playing 1080p/1440p, mostly games like BF1 etc. I'll see what cost the 1400 build comes in at I guess :p I'd prefer a ryzen build overall for sure.
Only thing I'm not sure about is the ram, lots of reviews seem to say you need over 2400mhz minimum. Gonna bump the price up going for a 3200Mhz sticks vs 2133 :/

I wonder if cat6 could handle 10Gbit at short distances... I remember when Gigabit first came along everyone said you must use Cat6, but 5e works fine for full distance Gigabit.

Potentially, up to 55m according to this:
czy64xy.png

Last edited:
Nice!

But 650w is kind of OC ?

Ohwell not as bad as my mistake. Ordered the PC in my sig with a 450W PSU which I thought was being thrifty, as normally I overdo it on the PSU side. Then when it arrived I remembered I had a Seasonic 860W fully modular 80 Plus Platinum rated in it's box. So I coulda just used a far better PSU for free. :lol:

I wasn't sure how much psu power I needed. I can never figure it out. Sometimes I use those psu calculators on newegg or where ever but I get wildly varying estimates from 350w all the way up to 550w so I played it safe and went 650 like my old computer. Only downside with this psu is the cables are really short and cannot be routed through the back of the case. So there go my hopes and dreams of cable managing this build. Guess it still isn't as bad as my old computer.

Is your bed in a jail cell?

It's a mental hospital actually XD

Actually yeah I am in college. I work there

I'm putting together a gaming build for a mate, looks like i'll have to go with an i5 7400 tho instead of a ryzen 5 1600 due to price unfortunately :(

The 1400 is pretty solid from what I have seen so far in a day. My games for the most part run better with the exception of 7 days to die which has some micro stutter issues in alpha 16 pretty much on any computer. Beamng drive is miles better than it was on my old computer. I can now have 5 or 6 AI driven cars on a map at once and maintain 60- 120 fps and make it rain dump trucks at 50fps. Old rig would drop to about 12 fps or crash when I do things like that even with this same GPU.

I'm pretty blown away with this build. It still amazes me how my old computer at 2.7 GHZ x6 is so much slower than this 3.2GHZ x4. I still don't understand how IPC works and how they manage to make improvements without increasing the frequency. And the temp while gaming doesn't even go above 37C while gaming with the stock cooler. prime95 didn't even make it go above 50. On my old computer it would sound like a hairdryer and be in the 70s

He'll be playing 1080p/1440p, mostly games like BF1 etc. I'll see what cost the 1400 build comes in at I guess :p I'd prefer a ryzen build overall for sure.
Only thing I'm not sure about is the ram, lots of reviews seem to say you need over 2400mhz minimum. Gonna bump the price up going for a 3200Mhz sticks vs 2133 :/

Potentially, up to 55m according to this:
czy64xy.png
The build I did with the 970 ran BF1 at 1080p perfectly fine with 2400 for RAM. I'd assume if 1440p was a possibility a better GPU would be in play and with that resolution it takes more load off the CPU anyways.

I wasn't sure how much psu power I needed. I can never figure it out. Sometimes I use those psu calculators on newegg or where ever but I get wildly varying estimates from 350w all the way up to 550w so I played it safe and went 650 like my old computer. Only downside with this psu is the cables are really short and cannot be routed through the back of the case. So there go my hopes and dreams of cable managing this build. Guess it still isn't as bad as my old computer.

It's a mental hospital actually XD

Actually yeah I am in college. I work there

The 1400 is pretty solid from what I have seen so far in a day. My games for the most part run better with the exception of 7 days to die which has some micro stutter issues in alpha 16 pretty much on any computer. Beamng drive is miles better than it was on my old computer. I can now have 5 or 6 AI driven cars on a map at once and maintain 60- 120 fps and make it rain dump trucks at 50fps. Old rig would drop to about 12 fps or crash when I do things like that even with this same GPU.

I'm pretty blown away with this build. It still amazes me how my old computer at 2.7 GHZ x6 is so much slower than this 3.2GHZ x4. I still don't understand how IPC works and how they manage to make improvements without increasing the frequency. And the temp while gaming doesn't even go above 37C while gaming with the stock cooler. prime95 didn't even make it go above 50. On my old computer it would sound like a hairdryer and be in the 70s
PSU calculators are pretty trash tbh. If you don't know always ask.

The build I did with the 970 ran BF1 at 1080p perfectly fine with 2400 for RAM. I'd assume if 1440p was a possibility a better GPU would be in play and with that resolution it takes more load off the CPU anyways.

PSU calculators are pretty trash tbh. If you don't know always ask.

Guess it should have a pretty relaxing life not having to work to the limit. my rule of thumb is somehow find out how much wattage your parts need then get 100w higher so that the psu isn't working it's hardest for its entire lifespan

Guess it should have a pretty relaxing life not having to work to the limit. my rule of thumb is somehow find out how much wattage your parts need then get 100w higher so that the psu isn't working it's hardest for its entire lifespan

Basically I just add the TDP of the components up.

CPU is say 65w
GPU is 100w
RAM is say 10w max
Mobo is negligable, say 10w max again
Add a bit on for ur SSD and HDD, fans

So you can see with a modern, low to mid spec build, even if all components are at 100% power draw (which is going to be pretty damn rare), it's scarcely going to get much past 250W. Modern PC components use very little power, other than the top end ones. You can get the same performance out of an 80W card today that would've required a 300W card several years ago.

Only time you need a beefy PSU these days is if you are doing heavy overclocking, and running top end cards in SLI. That when you really need those 800W PSU. Even then a lot of the time a modern SLI rig is going to be drawing less than 500W so you could probably get away with just a 650W or something.

Also, already upgrading my PC ! :lol: :lol:

Nah im not being stupid, I just got a sweet deal. Basically when I ordered my PC ten days ago the GTX 1060 was about £110 more expensive, outside my budget sweet spot.

But now i've managed to find an offer for one that is only £20 more than I paid for my 1050Ti. I can return it my 1050Ti for a full refund as it's within 14 day return period. Couldn't miss out on 75% extra performance for £20 :p And im going to not be a lazy sod and put my old Seasonic 860W Modular PSU up for sale to cover it :)

Why'd you get rid of all your higher end stuff anyways? :tongue:

Paying off 90% of my debt so im getting rid of thousands of £'s worth of **** I don't want or need. I don't game enough to need a £2500 laptop with a GTX 1080, so i'm selling it and swapped it for a cheaper PC that costs about 1/3rd of what I can sell the laptop for.

Just being Kman doing Kman things.

So I went to lay down on the couch for a small nap (since I'm sick and took the day off) and woke up to my gf watching a documentary on Princess Diana. DIdn't really know much about it and I never knew the backlash the royal family got just from grieving. Geeze.

Back
Top Bottom