What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Last purchase using the XMas funds. Samsung Captivate. Upgrade with contract $50. :)

That's a good price for the Captivate.

IMO as soon as Samsung gets us a Froyo or Gingerbread upgrade the Captivate will be just about the perfect phone.

Yeah it was a deal i couldnt refuse. Considering a guy i work with got it when it first came out 6 months or so ago and paid $200 for it. XD My wife is getting the same phone come March. I really do love the phone. I couldnt be happier with my purchase. Was considering getting a Windows Phone (Samsung Focus) but decided on the Captivate instead. Best decision of 2011.

Yeah, I bought mine shortly after the launch for $150 and that was the best deal I could find at the time.

I can see how WP7 would have been tempting, I really like the OS as a whole but when I tried out the phones in person most of them didn't seem as well made as the Captivate.

The biggest point that got me, aside from the feel of the devices, was the fact that WP7 is constantly updating its data. You cant disable background updates or anything. It constantly accesses teh web for Facebook updates, emails, and XBOX Live stuff. I mean there is already reports about Phantom Data now. To me that is what broke the deal. I didnt have the Unlimited Data Plan back when it was offered from AT&T. I didnt need it at the time. I wasnt working and had access to a PC all day. But now that i am back working they dont offer it. They only have the 200MB for $15 or 2GB for $25. The $25 was a bit much to add to our bill so i only got the $15, which is only $5 more than i was paying for unlimited with my LG Vu.

Add into that the constant WiFi access and the ability to turn off sync and background data and it was a no brainer for me.

xbox-360-black-wireless-headset-cz885370117813.jpg

also bought a picture, and curtains for my bedroom.

The biggest point that got me, aside from the feel of the devices, was the fact that WP7 is constantly updating its data. You cant disable background updates or anything. It constantly accesses teh web for Facebook updates, emails, and XBOX Live stuff. I mean there is already reports about Phantom Data now. To me that is what broke the deal. I didnt have the Unlimited Data Plan back when it was offered from AT&T. I didnt need it at the time. I wasnt working and had access to a PC all day. But now that i am back working they dont offer it. They only have the 200MB for $15 or 2GB for $25. The $25 was a bit much to add to our bill so i only got the $15, which is only $5 more than i was paying for unlimited with my LG Vu.

Add into that the constant WiFi access and the ability to turn off sync and background data and it was a no brainer for me.

Ouch, I'm on the $15 plan too so that would have really been a problem if I had gone with Windows Phone 7.

One piece of software you might find useful for your Captivate is the Sideload Wonder Machine. It lets you bypass At&t's block on all non market apps without the need to root your phone.

Sideload Android apps all you want with the Sideload Wonder Machine | Android Central

I haven't had to use it much but from time to time there are good beta's that are only available from the developers site.

I refuse to change my plan as I am grand fathered into the unlimited. I wonder if that will be a problem when I upgrade. Shouldn't be an issue though as I won't be changing my plan.

I refuse to change my plan as I am grand fathered into the unlimited. I wonder if that will be a problem when I upgrade. Shouldn't be an issue though as I won't be changing my plan.
Ditto...although I think when I upgrade it will be with the Verizon iPhone, thus requiring a different plan (obviously).

My iphone's plan expires in 2013....lmao, around 2012 begining of the year or something i can upgrade without a charge lol, got a while to go yet lol....iphone 5 :p unless android releases something that catches my eye.

Back
Top Bottom