What is the roll of a teacher? (programming class)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea that's how I write my code

I just sit down and look over what's being asked...then i say to myself " what all do I need" then I just go through typing in what I know I need..then fill in the gaps later as more things come to me

My curriculum mandated a course in psuedocode before I could take any programming courses. Psuedocode is super-simple to me as I used to write my own programs in BASIC back in the 80's (yes, those 80's). I wrote programs for my Tandy and for the Apples we had at school.

The problem is that object oriented programming doesn't observe anything akin to sequential structure. It did, and still does, give me a headache. It took almost the whole class before I finally was able to begin to understand how it all worked and how to use it. At least my teacher wasn't as useless as yours. he would at least try and clue me in as far as what I needed to know and do.

Well last night was our first lecture class. So I got to sit down and listen to him instead of reading my book.

The guy knows his stuff that is obvious. However I don't know how good of a teacher he is. Some one can know something in and out but when it comes to explaining it and teaching it, that is another skill all together. I think he assumes everyone should understand and learn it as he comprehends but that isn't always going to be the case.

I paid for the class and I want to learn this so I am going to finish this class but I think I will try a different teacher next time.

Everyone else in the class was just as confused as I was with this project, which tells me he is asking to much to early.

You are paying for the teacher to do his job which is teach.....if you feel he isnt teaching you, find another one.

Just because you have to figure stuff out on your own doesnt mean you cant be helped.

I don't think they have another C# instructor at this college and it's to late to get my money back. I'll just drive him nuts with questions.

I don't care if I pass or not, this is a class I am taking for my own personal interest. So far I got 100% on all assignments....we will see how it's goes.

Last night a light bulb turned on in my head and I got much further in my lunch menu app!

For those that have programming background were you writing programs from the ground up in your first class ever after only a month of teaching? Specifically programs that used things you haven't learned about yet?

That is what I don't get. Why should I be asked to write a program that uses things I haven't read about yet?

That is like me telling someone that wants to learn to be a mechanic to rebuild a transmission after he learned how to change the oil in a car....

honestly, i have taken a few courses on coding and they are all like that. They will help you to an extent, but if you ask something that you need to figure out for yourself, then they are of no help, and that is a good thing, because that is how you learn coding IMO. In all of the courses i have taken i actually started from the ground up, writing the code from scratch.

^Well, personally i prefer to have something a little more interactive then a Text Book in front of me. Even though complete explanations are scarcely given i still find it much more pragmatic.

If I wasn't so eager to learn C# I would drop my class. Here is two emails, one from my java teacher and one from my C# teacher. This is a prime example of how difficult this teacher is.

Ok email #1 from my java teacher. I had a question about the logic in the assignment. Her response:

Sorry to return you late. I had class last night very late.

Your program is beautifully done. This one is very difficult for new learners.

That logic does not need in the way of your implementation. You can put that check in different places. Programming is more like art then math. You can always have different approach to achieve the same result. You can be a very good software engineer if you choose so, trust me.

Thanks for your hard work. I like students who really want to learn, not just for the credit.

Email #2 from my C# teacher. I had asked a question about his assignment because it was very vague.

The assignment was posted at the start of the week (last Sunday) and was due last night by midnight (I had to update the link so that assignments could be attached but it has been there the entire week).

On the form, I think i'm sure of your question but the functionality of the form should be whatever is necesssary to create an automobile class as the instruction outline.

Really? So basically all he did was state I need to read the direction again. Sorry but creating a class doesn't explain what the app should do. At least to me it doesn't as a beginner. To my understanding a class is something you create and you can use that class for many different apps you create in the future.

So then he sends out another email to the group stating that the next assignment will move back the due date because he wants to make sure the details of the assignment are clear. Why you ask? And he states:

The assignment has not be posted because I am reviewing it to make sure the requirements are clear. Based on some of the questions I have been asked, the requirements on previous assignments are not clear and based on the importance of the areas on this assignment I want to make sure I have outlined things clearly.

So basically he is admitting that when he outlines an assignment it's obviously not clear to many students what he is asking. Yet he still doesn't explain it in the email he sent directly to me?? I almost feel like he is on a power trip and can't just understand that some times he needs to be more clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom