What is with the lack of Maxtor HDD's??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 5 x 750's and a 500, all from Seagate, and they're all going strong.
I think my 74GB Raptor is dying, so I replaced it with the 500GB drive and copied everything off it

I have hear WD has some real quality control issues with there raptors for the last year a friend has gone through 4 150gb velociraptors (he has two one failed 3 times the other once) in 6 months he had to raid1 them because he didn't trust them anymore. Now they just sit gathering dust must be costing WD a fortune as they have a 5 year guarantee. If it was any other time of year I would buy them off him for a dirt cheap price I would only put games and the OS on there so no big loss if it dies and those velicoraptors are killer fast.

To be honest i have a suspicion that Maxtor are censintration on there external drives more now.

Yeah quite possible I got a Maxtor one touch when maxtor got bought out and its worked flawlessly for the last 2-3 years really can't complain and I have opened it up just because I was curious and if it does die soon (unlikely as although its always plugged in it is rarely used it was my game installation drive odd I know as its via usb the slowest interface lol) I can harvest the usb/ide controller and the casing for a different newer drive.

Yea I had a few go on me in the past, All of them out of warranty so i was screwed oh well at least I got Segates now.

To be honest i have a suspicion that Maxtor are censintration on there external drives more now.
Yeah. Because it's so easy to say "You must of dropped it"
I have had a few of there external drives come in. Most of the time it the enxclosure that dies. They are easy to fix up.

Wasnt there a problem with some Maxtor drives and external enclosures?? Something about voltages or something?

Wasnt there a problem with some Maxtor drives and external enclosures?? Something about voltages or something?
Not with me.

I have a few external drives come in where all i needed to do was replace the enclose. Maxtor and Western Digital external drive. Drive still works, it's just that the enclosure is dead.

Okay i don't know anyone, friends, family, with a hard drive that's failed ? I think i'm the only one on this forum who has never had a PSU go bust, or a HD fail..Or any PC part as a matter of fact.

Not with me.

I have a few external drives come in where all i needed to do was replace the enclose. Maxtor and Western Digital external drive. Drive still works, it's just that the enclosure is dead.

Not to me either but when i went into MSY they advised me against Maxtor hard drives for use with enclosures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom