What is it to do on the computer beside social media? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default What is it to do on the computer beside social media?

I remember when sites like this and VideoHelp - Forum, Guides, Software and DVD lists, bustthefactsblogspot.com and other sites were the thing to do on a computer 10-15 years ago. thousands browsed the sites every day. Then it went to social media. I'm looking for the old kind of sites when you can enjoy yourself posting material and what not.

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: What is it to do on the computer beside social media?

About all I do nowadays besides talk to friends over Facebook chat, is get on here and post or play games. I'll read tech news and such, or if I have an idea for a program I'll code in Visual Studio, or feel like messing around in PhotoShop I'll do that as well.

I also do web development stuff on the side - so there's that.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

I benchmark (games and software), record videos to discuss performance for Youtube, this place, record and edit music, edit videos, watch Youtube videos from my subs, keep up on tech news, play games, keep up on news in the "piracy" scene, second to last I keep a watch on global news, and I do most of my text messaging from my PC.

Other than that, watch TV and movies. Social media is on the last of my list. I only recently made a Twitter account and I barely get on there.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Other than that, watch TV and movies. Social media is on the last of my list. I only recently made a Twitter account and I barely get on there.
Only reason I made a Twitter account is so I could connect it to Twitch, and then have my Live sessions broadcast automatically to my FB .

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 11-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

How do you watch tv shows and movies through the net? I'm tired of my outrageous cable bill
EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
How do you watch tv shows and movies through the net? I'm tired of my outrageous cable bill
Netflix and Amazon Video for subscription services.

I also have a Plex server setup on my server at home so that all my movies/TV shows/music on my HDD's are indexed through it and can be played locally or over the internet. I can also cast them directly to my Chromecast, so it's like having my own personal Netflix/Hulu/Spotify.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Social media, games, music, movies, research. The internet has become mostly a social platform really as almost everything you can do online permits interacting with others. The only time this isn't really true is when you listen to music, watch movies, or do research.
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Like most people I keep an eye on social media everyday. More of a bad habit than anything else. I don't really post often though. Other than that I like to keep active on forums such as this and read up on world news, tech news and anything in between. I also have a few youtubers that I watch regularly.

Apple MacBook Pro || 750GB || 8GB RAM || 2.9 GHz i7
Apple iPhone 8 || 64GB || Black
Apple iPad Air 2 || 64GB || Black
Sony Playstation 3 || 60GB || 2007 Model
Microsoft Xbox 360 || 20GB || 2009 Model
Sony PSP || 8GB || 2005 Model
MillField is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillField View Post
Like most people I keep an eye on social media everyday. More of a bad habit than anything else. I don't really post often though. Other than that I like to keep active on forums such as this and read up on world news, tech news and anything in between. I also have a few youtubers that I watch regularly.
Technically a Forum is a type of Social Media.... It predates what we consider as social media...

Social = multiple participants
Media = information transfer
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

^ You and your logic.

Let's see what I do on the computer all day...
Reddit, iHeartRadio, Google Music, Tech Forums, shop (amazon, et al), get work done (ssh mostly, Secure Shell extension for Chrome <3), more reddit, play games, and possibly watch movies / TV.

I'm on my computer a lot