Question About The Yellow and Red Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the points that are clearly laid out in front of my eyes.

"some" Current tech forums members, Recently Banned tech forums members:
Are upset with the fact that tech forums is so strict and can't except or don't want to except that it is. May-be at one time they enjoyed the forum and it's other members. But, due to policies and handling of policies, it's left a bad taste in their mouths. They feel that being "long time" members and supporting the forum has zero benefits. Being tight lipped and fake isn't in most of these member's blood and they want to "keep it real" so to speak. Being themselves is rewarded with red cards or yellow cards and infractions that mean little or nothing to them. Most of them just want to throw a few lines in here and there and shake things up a bit from the "boring monotony" that tech forums is with the same threads over and over again. Add spark, add interest, add personality... Colorful adjectives and opinions are what give a forum it's character. Not a bunch of "wanna-be" techies telling noobies what video card they should buy or what processor overclocks the best.

I've been here for a few years and I've enjoyed most of my time here. I've had words with many members and many members have had words with me.
I do not fault anyone for having words with me as I'm just as opinionated as the next person. I do however find it harder and harder to come back to TF and participate in many threads because I must be so tight lipped and fake. I am who I am and may-be TF is just not for me. Hence the reason Mike and Myself created a community to cater to more people like us. Open, honest and free speaking people.

Tech-Forums MODS, SMODS, ADMINS, OWNER:

You have clearly laid out rules, regulations and behavior that is permitted and not permitted. It is either your forum or you represent the ownership with a responsibility to uphold those guidelines set forth. Regardless of "membership" those rules will not be broken without consequence, infraction or punishment.

Those that do not like the rules, can't handle the rules or break the rules, can find another place to play. Your forum is not open for free discussion and guidelines for content must be followed to the letter of the law. No exceptions. Either like it or leave it. Do what I say, not what I do.

Again, I've been here for a few years and I've seen many MODS & SMODS. Most are fair and do a great job IMO. There are some however that are a mistake to have as MODS & SMODS, again IMO. Doesn't matter really, it's only IMO. I have my favorites and I have my "not-so-favorites". But, that's just me.

It's your forum to do as you wish. If people don't like your choices or decisions, it's my understand that there are plenty of other forums and communities out there to better suite their needs. I myself have created one.

In Closing, I wish TF good luck in the future and I'd hope that they wish ToV the same and equal good luck.

~Thanks for Reading

I was actually going to post something very similar to this later tonight, but I guess there's no need now. :p Thanks for saving me the effort.

Here's an idea....Veteran Members! :p

I have to find it funny, almost. I have people freaking out because we now have a more formal way of warning things.
Still talking out of both sides of your mouth, it may be more formal, but not when you use some lame attempt to be funny by giving a reason as "yeah...no". If you think that's formal, I'd love to see your reaction from getting fired from a job and asking your boss only to recieve an answer of "yeeeahhhh...no". You're a spitting image of formal.

And just remember, you could have avoided my entire point if you simply stuck to the formal system like you keep rambling on about instead of trying to be funny. Now that's irony!

yeah...no

I dont know quite how i missed all this happening, but now that I see what tf has really become, (a bunch of bickering and *****ing 15 yr olds), I doubt I'll be spending as much time here as I used to.

In short, Ill stick with the smaller forums from now on.

Perhaps the biggest issue I have with the card system is it only represents one end of the spectrum, people recieve cards for infractions or whatnot but there is not a single card that merits a good or respectable action. ... The card system is a negative attribute and doesn't seem to have any benefit to members who actually contribute to the site.

There have been studies on reward vs. punishment and in most situations reward is the more effective means, not to say punishment is not warranted in specific situations ...
There is also a reputation system to come. However, starting one new thing at a time is probably the best route to take. The reputation system is something where members can give other members good points.

I've expressed this in other threads, but punishment and discipline are not the same. The infraction system is a discipline system, not punishment. Now, the 1000 points is punishment...unless you don't consider a permanent ban from here punishment.

a. All ready done.
b. Go back to what ever old system you running for the past few years. Because, seriously, your new system is a joke with some of the older members. And it's spreading to the newer members.

Like mikesgroovin as brought it up quick at few times on vent. If you put in a control system in place, people will try to rebel against it.
Anything and everything can become a joke to new members when the old members treat something badly.

And Mike is definitely right. Though we do NOT have a new "control" system, we just have a more efficient way of managing problems. It will take some getting used to by everyone.

I would like an explination on why i recieved a warning for this post.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f6/question-about-yellow-red-cards-139069/index5.html#post1065895

Can anybody see something wrong with that?
PM whomever gave you the infraction.

I think that one thing that would really help ...http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showbans.php?

It is a list of all the banned users and what they did. It also includes a link to the post that got them the ban. This way, the members of TF could see what was acceptable and what was pushing the limits.
Basically, discipline is a private matter unless a member wants to say they have an infraction. The Forum Leaders do not openly discuss these matters. For now, we will not post who is banned and why. The answer to that question is to abide by the rules. If someone is banned, whether temporary or permanent, then it's because of some rule(s) infraction.

We do have some other plans that we're working on for the betterment of TF, like the reputation system. We're also discussing some other private forums for veteran members, contributors, or whatever. There's alot of change happening, and it all takes time and patience on everyone's behalf. I hope that members can bear with us through this time of change.

Thanks for your support, suggestions, patience, and all that stuff!!!

Dave :D

Ste and GSM, both of you are acting like children. This thread has provided a lot of valuable information about new card system and I don't want to see it locked. If you have to do this bickering, take it to TOV or somewhere that isn't here. You both say that you are mature, but you surely aren't acting like it.

Not a member of TOV, don't need to take it else where As I am him not speaking to him alone. I would be the first one to take something to PM or email if it was directed at specific people. But my Posts are not.
The definition of maturity is subjective. Not only that, but there are levels of it. Yes I am not being mature as I could be. Such as not replying to anything in this thread at all. Walking away, not careing for whats said in here. But I do care about tech-forums and it's rule system. Its not my fault that some people dislike my opinion and or my statements. But they can state their own opinion without bashing, flaming or otherwise insulting me or anyone else. They can do this, but they choose not to for whatever reason.
Getting back to maturity. I concede again that I am not acting as mature as I could. But would you not agree that I am not Flamming anyone, posting inapropriate pictures, using swears or inapropriate words to offend anyone. Yes I said in so many words that someone couldn't read, and that I overestimated him. And it is an insult of a certain level. But it is much "Nicer", then it could have been. Not only that, but, I did clarify myself in another post, and it would make you angry as well if someone gave an opinion about something that you did not mean. I am in no way perfect and noone is, but you can try...

1.Completely uncalled for. That was real mature on your part.

2.Again, real mature. As if the first part wasn't enough.

A. Your fault for not being specific enough in the first place.

B. When people aren't specific with what they're trying to say then sometimes people explode and have to respond right away therefore not reading the rest of the posts.

4.I had something intelligent to say to this, but I can't recall it at this moment in time. Ah well.

5.Again, your fault for not being specific enough in the first place.

6.And here I was going to invite you to the club.

7.Of course you don't care if we flame you because you're too busy flaming everyone else.

8.As will you be.

9.Definitely never.

10.Better quite while you're ahead then.

11.Keep telling yourself that. You'll get far.

12.Why didn't you just do that from the start?

13.*insert an "O RLY?!" picture here*

14.AInsubordination. Nicely done.

14B.Article 91 of the UCMJ states the punishments for insubordination. The military doesn't tolerate insubordination very well at all.

(1) Striking or assaulting warrant officer. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 5 years.

(2) Striking or assalting superior noncommissioned or petty officer. Dishonorable discharge, for-feiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 3 years.

(3) Striking or assaulting other noncommissioned or petty officer. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 1 year.

(4) Willfully disobeying the lawful order of a warrant officer. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 2 years.

(5) Willfully disobeying the lawful order of a noncommissioned or petty officer. Bad-conduct discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 1 year.

(6) Contempt or disrespect to warrant officer. Bad-conduct discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 9 months.

(7) Contempt or disrespect to superior noncommissioned or petty officer. Bad-conduct discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 6 months.

(8) Contempt or disrespect to other noncommissioned or petty officer. Forfeiture of two-thirds pay per month for 3 months, and confinement for 3 months.
1.I expect people on any forum to read all posts before posting their own opinion. I would not blame you for insulting someone for doing the same thing he did. I believe my insult was warranted. While keeping it as low key (Not using swear words, inappropriate images or words) as possible. If my insult was uncalled for, what would you call the insults, flams and bashing directed at me? Oh Im sure you thought It was acceptable... - Eye roll -
2. Ditto/ Answered from Number one.
3A. Prehaps, He has equal fault in not reading. But he also did nothing to fix/change it. As I Clarified/changed my original Statement/question so could he. If he did I would apologize as well.
3B. And thats when problems occur. Noone is perfect and I on many occasions on many forums did this very same thing. I read one or two posts and instantly reply without reading the rest. Things do not go well when I did this. So I learned. I learned to read everything posted. And then Post.
Maybe some people here can learn as well.
4. I would be interested to Hear it when you remember.
5. Ditto from 3A and 3B.
6. Um, Ok..?
7. Prehaps, prehaps my "flamming" is of a higher level than some members will ever accomplish. Prehaps, I really don't care because doing so may be a waste of time and energy. But really its both, and if your interested in the extended explaination you can ask in PM. But in the end you will believe/think whatever makes the most sense to you.
8. If the mods/admins Felt I did something to break the rules, they would indeed. But so far I have been careful with my words/wording.
9. Prehaps.
10. Lol, I am still wording my statements carefully. And I am doing my best not to "Insult," Flam," or otherwise "bash" anyone. I intend to continue this streak of "cardlessness" infinitly.
11. Again, You can say My flamming of people is of a different level. Maybe its not, but Im not getting cards or warnings of any kind... Your definition of "far" and what situations it applies to would be interesting to hear.
12. I have only the imperfection of being human to blame. We all make mistakes, maybe that was indeed mine.
13. Google images has a nice assortment.
14A. It is not my fault that some members have broken the rules while posting in this thread. We as members, have a duty, to report any post that breaks the rules. I may take that duty more seriously than many many other members. But if reporting posts for breaking a rule was against the rules: How could we report/inform the mods/admins in charge. Oh and FYI, this is not a military forum and it is not controlled by a Military organization either..

Since it seems that some have forgotten what this thread is about, and may be on the verge of flaming (and that's IMO and I'd be the one giving the infractions), I'm closing this thread.

There will be complaints about that. However, there is a thread to better explain the infraction system. It's not a thread for bickering; it's for understanding.

Dave :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom