PS3 pricing and release date revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i had to pick i would pick the xbox 360 because their controllers are so nice the ps3 controllers are just awkward in my opinion

<HTML>

I was just passing on what I have heard over several forums. I can't be bothered to find it now, but it is not meant to be great at gaming, but doesn't the 2TF meant to say it will be great at running super Pi.

Yes, that is true. Basically, the cell processor is a unique core, meaning it is good for floating point calcs, which in turn equal higher tf. Problem is the PS3 uses only ONE multipurpose processor, and then the cell's SPE's, which are good for physic calcs, but not really ideal for gaming and a PAIN in the A$$ to program for because they do NOT have branch prediction.

I want to see how the cell works in REAL WORLD PERFORMANCE, not some benchmarks. Look at SLI, you have TWO GPUs instead of the standard single GPU systems, so logic would say it would give great performance boost, but does it give double the performance? No it only gives a 20-40 percent advantage. Also quad SLI only gets about 20% better advantage then dual SLI on high resolutions and sometimes it performs worse! Can this happen with the cell?

Also reading Anandtech's CPU performance in Oblivion and it shown that dual core CPUs only gives off an average of 12% better then their single core brothers (like a X2 3800+ gives off 15% better performance then a single 3200+). So even if the cell can run 7 threads on it's 7 SPEs, is it going to give 700% better performance then a single one? No it won't, maybe on benchmarks designed to use those to it's best advantage. The cell also makes it tougher to develop games/software on, and I hear it's complex architecture might work against it under certain circumstances.

Benchmarks don't = game performance.

Yeah Sony now has to copy the ideas of other controllers to add onto their outdated design.

The original Xbox controller felt great to me for what little time I got to play it but the new 360 controllers are so lame because they shrunk them down so much. why did they have to make them so **** small??? I guess to fit the hands of 10yearold halo gayboys. :rolleyes:

I've been watching E-3 PS3 trailers, and from what I've seen, I'm quite unimpressed. Anyway, the power of either system will only ever be reached by a few select titles. Third-party publishers are going to decide how good a title looks, regardless of the console. Considering that you won't ever even notice the difference by the most graphically-intense 360 titles and the most graphically-intense PS3 titles, the extra 100-200 bucks just isn't worth it.

****, just imagine if one system ran all of PS-Xbox-Nintendo titles...mwheh

What the **** are you talking about with the controllers? The ps2 one is fine, ps3 one will porbably be fine too. The original xbox one was retardedly big, ut had a huge X in the middle in case you forgot what system you were on. Thew new xbox one is alright, as for the benchmarks. It will be have nice performance, in the computer gaming world its hard to make something use the hardware to the best possibilities since there are so many different configurations. There will only be one ps3 configuration so developers will use it to its greatest potential.

John Carmack said it was a "mistake" on Sony's behalf of using the cell because how hard it is for game developers to create things with, and saying that the 360's traditional symmetrical multi-core CPU much easier to program with. So while the PS3 games are configured for the system, if it takes more time to do so, and remember money is a big thing to consider when making a game, then they won't be able to do all the stuff they want to do.

This also means that devs will be more reluctant take a dive on something new and risk the game to bomb, so they can either make money off another mario game or risk losing money developing something new and different.

I have big hands and the 'Duke' controller, although ugly, was extremly comfortable then going back to the PS2, the controller was extremly small and didn't suit my hand at all. A wonder how I used it previously. Sony do need to move on with the controller.

A lot of you are missing out on something. Playstations have always been hard to program games for, that is nothing new. In fact, it will be easier for develops to use the graphics card now because it is no longer a sony custom one. However, the cpu will probably make it more difficult but overall it will most likely be an even trade off.

In the long run I doubt this will hurt the playstation significantly, if at all.

Also, making "new and different" games has always been forseen as a problem with gaming. As prices increased in the past, this was also a major concern, but yet we still see original games come out.

In regards to this, it mostly comes down to the players who own the system. Essentially, they decide whether or not new and different games will be accepted and that really is nothing new. If these games die, which i predict won't happen, I would be first to blame the consumers rather than Sony and developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom