Potentially the longest thread in history...

https://www.techpowerup.com/243184/...esh-rate-and-g-sync-hdr-start-being-available

Okay these monitors are really nice. But, that price holy **** !

I mean, it's Acer and Asus FFS. They're acting like they're Eizo or something, and they are far from it.

Depending on panel uniformity and how well they calibrate, these would be a pretty dream buy for me. If only they did it in a more refined and less shouty design, and were 50% cheaper. I hate that you can't have a colour accurate high quality panel suitable for photo and video editing, while also being good for gaming. It's either one or the other. With a bit of luck this monitor might start to bridge the gap. Other thing that pisses me off is the quality control on these £600+ gaming laptops is absolutely wank, some of them are C grade panels at best.
Actually Eizo showed off their newest 4k panels too annnnnd these in a lot of ways are better. The article doesn't say what percentage of DCI-P3 but can't imagine it's far off from the Eizo 98%. Only real difference is going to be LUT, size, and DCI-4k res.

If we are to assume a direct price translation (like all idiotic companies with high end hardware) we're looking at bare minimum $2500 for these. That means iParanormal that those 65"? 5000+ like I was saying before.

Actually Eizo showed off their newest 4k panels too annnnnd these in a lot of ways are better. The article doesn't say what percentage of DCI-P3 but can't imagine it's far off from the Eizo 98%. Only real difference is going to be LUT, size, and DCI-4k res.

If we are to assume a direct price translation (like all idiotic companies with high end hardware) we're looking at bare minimum $2500 for these. That means iParanormal that those 65"? 5000+ like I was saying before.

Other than refresh rate and Gsync, what is better about the displays in the Asus/Acer?

The main thing you get with going high end Eizo is the display calibration and guarantee you aren't going to get a **** panel with huge amounts of backlight bleed and IPS glow.

I think those 65" gaming monitors are going to be a major flop tbh. Too big and and too expensive.

Well for one this is a monitor based around HDR editing, will be quite expensive with all their calibration stuff, but doesn't even properly support the HDR standard according to Rec. 2100.

Off the Eizo site their nit is 350 cd/m2 whereas HDR10, HLG, PQ, etc calls for 1000. The standard calls for peak, but proper HDR panels specify the peak luminance rather than the typical which has been 350 for high end panels for quite some time. To top it off these 144hz panels are going to be cream of the crop as opposed to a 60hz. They're quantum dot vs wide gamut. I'd be willing to bet every single one of these initial release 144hz panels will be top of the line Samsung made.

Just an opinion, but it's based on specs readily available currently.

Well for one this is a monitor based around HDR editing, will be quite expensive with all their calibration stuff, but doesn't even properly support the HDR standard according to Rec. 2100.

Off the Eizo site their nit is 350 cd/m2 whereas HDR10, HLG, PQ, etc calls for 1000. The standard calls for peak, but proper HDR panels specify the peak luminance rather than the typical which has been 350 for high end panels for quite some time. To top it off these 144hz panels are going to be cream of the crop as opposed to a 60hz. They're quantum dot vs wide gamut. I'd be willing to bet every single one of these initial release 144hz panels will be top of the line Samsung made.

Just an opinion, but it's based on specs readily available currently.

Fair enough. I think on the Eizo the HDR is more referring to the range of colors rather than brightness, at a guess. Or perhaps it has a lower black level rather than higher peak brightness to achieve the higher contrast ratios.

In other news, if anyone else has a nice chair that they have sat in way too much and flattened the padding, I reccomend one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cush-Comfo...pID=31EC0MYCnrL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Also if you are fat like me with lower back pain, it helps with that too. I was just about to throw out a $200 chair but this has made it comfortable again.

Fair enough. I think on the Eizo the HDR is more referring to the range of colors rather than brightness, at a guess. Or perhaps it has a lower black level rather than higher peak brightness to achieve the higher contrast ratios.

In other news, if anyone else has a nice chair that they have sat in way too much and flattened the padding, I reccomend one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cush-Comfo...pID=31EC0MYCnrL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Also if you are fat like me with lower back pain, it helps with that too. I was just about to throw out a $200 chair but this has made it comfortable again.
Yea but IMO can't tout HDR editing prowess if you can't even fulfill the standard. I look at it like I look at all the other fake HDR panels, and sad to see Eizo going with that marketing bull****.

I put one of those in my old chair. Made that chair last 7 years for me.

Yea but IMO can't tout HDR editing prowess if you can't even fulfill the standard. I look at it like I look at all the other fake HDR panels, and sad to see Eizo going with that marketing bull****.

I put one of those in my old chair. Made that chair last 7 years for me.

I think it looks like some of the re-sellers have been falsely advertising one of their monitors as HDR. I went on the Eizo website, and the CG318 4K 31" display with 350cdm2 brightness is not listed as HDR, only the Prominence CG3145 4K 31" is listed as HDR on their website and meets HDR10 spec with 1000cdm2 brightness.

http://eizocolour.com/site/assets/files/1057/0884_eizo_product_cg318_4k_03.pdf

http://eizocolour.com/site/assets/files/1145/cg3145_product_sheet_web_feb_2018_aw.pdf

I still want one that is 120HZ+ though. I don't feel like I could go back below 30". I am used to the 40" monitor I have now, but figure I would be okay with a 30". However 27" or less would probably annoy me.

Last edited:
Been having major problems installing kali linux on my now unused terminal \ pc . Very problematic.

So now I have two PCs I have no idea what too do with them and a server.

Any ideas anybody.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom