Potentially the longest thread in history...

Classic XD good thing the pumps are designed to clip off so I hear, so nothing even really breaks when stuff like that happens.

I guess we are spoiled over here when it comes to readily available BBQ sauces. Sweet baby Ray's is good, but so are many others. Sticky Fingers has some good sauces; I am partial to the Sweet Southern Heat and Memphis Original. Bull's-Eye is good, as is Stubb's and KC Masterpeice. Bot the best is what you make yourself, hands down.

Damn straight, at this point I've refined my own bbq recipe to the point that it beats baby rays hands down :p I would like to incorporate the chipotle though, adds a tasty twist and goes so well with the smokey flavours

I guess we are spoiled over here when it comes to readily available BBQ sauces. Sweet baby Ray's is good, but so are many others. Sticky Fingers has some good sauces; I am partial to the Sweet Southern Heat and Memphis Original. Bull's-Eye is good, as is Stubb's and KC Masterpeice. Bot the best is what you make yourself, hands down.

In the past few years, BBQ sauce/meat has become way more fashionable over here. You see BBQ restaurants popping up all over the place offering pulled pork, ribs etc. Also a proliferation of those sorts of meats in supermarkets, Tesco now offer about 10 different flavors/varieties of slow cooked BBQ ribs with all sorts of sauces just of there in store brand variety.

And because of all that, we have a pretty big selection of BBQ sauces as well now. In my local Tesco there is a 5m x 2m selection of shelf with BBQ sauces, probably 20 or 30 different varieties. Many of them are American, I don't recognize all the ones you listed, but pretty sure I've seen Stubbs. We also seem to have an emerging market of small-scale family-run operations doing premium sources that the supermarkets are starting to sell. Quite a few small scale premium English brands doing BBQ sauce now, some of them pretty good!. The American sauces tend to be thinner and sweeter, compared to the small family business English ones, which are thicker, stronger, but not quite as sweet.

Sounds like I would like the homegrown sauces then as I prefer a thicker, non-sweet sauce that is on the spicy side.

Thick, spicy, and sweet for me :p the holy trinity
Dad bought some ribs on a whim yesterday so cooked up another batch last night, best results so far :D no pics this time, the scavangers are learning what times they should hang around downstairs -_-

Last edited:
Does anyone here understand Runspaces/threading and sync hashing in PowerShell ? I tried to incorporate it into my code using the Foxdeploy guide. But the guide is not detailed, doesn't explain much of anything. It took hours of wrangling just to get the GUI to show up (I am using PowerShell backend on a XAML based Windows Form made in Visual Studio, turns out it didn't like part of the Window declaration in the XAML code.. but I digress). But, the GUI does nothing. It doesn't interact with all the actual script logic behind it, which is placed in a seperate runspace. I copy and paste the sample code and it all works fine, but I swap and place my code in it's place within the sample code (keeping the hashing/runspaces in place) and it just doesn't work.

I kinda need to figure it out, because atm my powershell logic code is about 500 lines long and full of loops and a fair bit of waiting for objects to sycnhronize to Azure/O365. It works fine without threading it and using different runspaces, but the whole GUI freezes while the script block executes after clicking the button.

:( :( :( halp plz.

Last edited:
Does anyone here understand Runspaces/threading and sync hashing in PowerShell ? I tried to incorporate it into my code using the Foxdeploy guide. But the guide is not detailed, doesn't explain much of anything. It took hours of wrangling just to get the GUI to show up (I am using PowerShell backend on a XAML based Windows Form made in Visual Studio, turns out it didn't like part of the Window declaration in the XAML code.. but I digress). But, the GUI does nothing. It doesn't interact with all the actual script logic behind it, which is placed in a seperate runspace. I copy and paste the sample code and it all works fine, but I swap and place my code in it's place within the sample code (keeping the hashing/runspaces in place) and it just doesn't work.

I kinda need to figure it out, because atm my powershell logic code is about 500 lines long and full of loops and a fair bit of waiting for objects to sycnhronize to Azure/O365. It works fine without threading it and using different runspaces, but the whole GUI freezes while the script block executes after clicking the button.

:( :( :( halp plz.

I've done BackgroundWorker threads in C# to not freeze GUI's while background processing is being done. Not sure if that really helps though, because I don't do much with PowerShell :p. Just straight .NET / C#.

I've done BackgroundWorker threads in C# to not freeze GUI's while background processing is being done. Not sure if that really helps though, because I don't do much with PowerShell :p. Just straight .NET / C#.

Powershell does have a ****ty workaround built in called Start-Job/Get-Job/Retrieve Job. But I couldn't even get that to work. Nothing happened to the code within the Start-Job { } script block. But then I read it wasn't great anyway because it's stupidly resource intensive and kind of a shoddy hack, so I thought i'd atleast invest my time into proper threading and runspaces. Now I am regretting it.

I can kind of work around the requirement, found a really small PS function that will write output to a TextBlock in the GUI in real time, so atleast you can see what's happening when you click the button, rather than it just freezing 'til it's complete. But the window is still unresponsive. :annoyed:

Code:
function Write-FormHost {
    param( [string]$Text )

$Form.Dispatcher.Invoke(
        [action]{$WPFStatusTextBlock.AddText("$($Text)`n")},
        "Render"
    )
}

Back
Top Bottom