Potentially the longest thread in history...

Yes. Literally.

If you're going through a river and the bow wave is coming over the bonnet, you can't exactly suck air in through the front grill below the bonnet ;) or you'll end up with a lot of water in your engine cylinders :p

The snorkel goes up the A pillar above the roof of the car. So you can drive though 1 to 1.5m deep water and your engine won't blow up.
Cool!

Did my first lesson on a full sized bike. Still restricted for A2 license, but that still makes it 47hp and about 70nm of torque. I drive a fast car, but I can say with confidence that 47hp on a motorbike is just great for a beginner. I never got near full throttle and still felt like the bike had plenty of zip for safe overtaking and fun. I did about 50% throttle at 50mph in 5th and it pulled nice and smoothly with ease. Absolutely great. Had an epic fun day. I really don't care if I fail my test now, because the lessons are fun anyway.

Previously I was annoyed about being A2 restricted til 24, but having actually tried one. ZERO issues, feels awesome.

Bikes are so fun man I encourage everyone to give it a go if you have the time/money to get a license and bike. Probably wouldn't reccomend it if you have people who are dependent on you being alive for obvious reasons (I think the death rate is 60x higher than car drivers or something). But if you don't... you gotta try it. It's the closest thing to flying without jumping out a plane ;)

Yo, another biker!

I did my test back in December 2012 at 17 (month before the current rules were introduced). At that time the rules were "33bhp limit for two years (any bike with restrictor included), then unlimited." For a while I had a restricted ER5, then I got a restricted Honda Hornet, restrictor came off in December 2014!

33bhp seemed pretty good until you try to keep up with the "nutter" motorcyclists, so 47bhp should be fine, my brother has a GPZ500 restricted to 47bhp (fabulous bike by the way) and loves it!

If you can afford to swap between bikes, I'd recommend picking up something like an MT03, then upgrading later. If you intend on taking your full test in a couple of years and want to keep the same bike, then I'd recommend getting something like an SV650 or MT07 and having it restricted. People who ride bikes do tend to swap bikes a fair bit though, so getting a bike with sub 47bhp without a restrictor is probably a good option, so you would later upgrade your bike with your licence! :)

Yo, another biker!

I did my test back in December 2012 at 17 (month before the current rules were introduced). At that time the rules were "33bhp limit for two years (any bike with restrictor included), then unlimited." For a while I had a restricted ER5, then I got a restricted Honda Hornet, restrictor came off in December 2014!

33bhp seemed pretty good until you try to keep up with the "nutter" motorcyclists, so 47bhp should be fine, my brother has a GPZ500 restricted to 47bhp (fabulous bike by the way) and loves it!

If you can afford to swap between bikes, I'd recommend picking up something like an MT03, then upgrading later. If you intend on taking your full test in a couple of years and want to keep the same bike, then I'd recommend getting something like an SV650 or MT07 and having it restricted. People who ride bikes do tend to swap bikes a fair bit though, so getting a bike with sub 47bhp without a restrictor is probably a good option, so you would later upgrade your bike with your licence! :)

Yo biker :p

Yeah I am doing my A2. I got my Mod1 on Thursday 9th Feb... I am pretty nervous about it, mainly U turn and Fig8. I can do them both okay, probably 75% of the time. But once every 4 or 5 attempts roughly i'll screw it up by going wide or putting my foot down. It just feels like you have to get a lot of things right each time for it to work. You gotta do your life saver check, stay fairly close to left hand line, then start turning sharp enough straight away while keeping the revs up to stay steady, feather clutch do you don't go too fast or too slow, and some rear break application to steady the bike. If I get any of them wrong, the foot lands on the floor :(

I am okay at the rest of it on my mock tests. I passed the emergency stop and avoidance every time on the mocks, so not TOO worried about them. But, I get nervous so easily, I really think I am going to a wobbly nervous wreck and do something stupid and fail. It's not really the actual failing that bothers me, it's just that it's such a drawn out affair. If I fail I have to rebook for another 2 or 3 weeks time which is just a load more waiting, all with the potential of failing again! I really really want to pass first time, but there is only a 50/50 chance I reckon. I have my Mod2 on Tuesday 14th. I could also fail this, but I feel like I am a pretty good driver with common road sense so I think there is an 80% chance i'll pass this okay.

As for the bike. I found a nice 2016 SV650 with just 100 miles on, 6 months old. The guy bought it and his wife didn't like it so he had to sell it. I saved myself £1000 off the new price for just 100 miles on the odometer..!

Actually getting tempted to sort out a bike myself now.

Totally do it ! the biker brotherhood is so cool. Every biker you go passed will nod at you, they'll chat to you and so on. It's far more like being part of a big club or culture. Whereas everyone drives a car and all car drivers hate each other :p Apart from the whole club feeling, riding is just great fun, and traffic is no longer annoying. It's like being in control of your own personal roller coaster, powered by a rocket. Even slow bikes are comparitively fast. My SV650 by bike standards is completely middle of the road, but it'll do 0-60 in about 4 seconds even with my weight, beating 99% of cars on the road. And if you get a 1000CC liter bike... well... you'd be unlucky to ever meet a car on the road which will beat you at traffic light races.

Last edited:
I rode pretty avidly for ~10 years when I was younger. Got my first bike at 8-10 years old. Raced them when I was in my early teens(had a Yamaha YZ-125, YZ-250, WR-420, and an XL650), broke a few bones. Had a few scares (internal bleeding, punctured organs, etc). I was scared off of them for a while :tongue:

Looking for a flight to Europe this summer. Thinking London. Any recommendations?

I rode pretty avidly for ~10 years when I was younger. Got my first bike at 8-10 years old. Raced them when I was in my early teens(had a Yamaha YZ-125, YZ-250, WR-420, and an XL650), broke a few bones. Had a few scares (internal bleeding, punctured organs, etc). I was scared off of them for a while :tongue:

Looking for a flight to Europe this summer. Thinking London. Any recommendations?

London's cool. Busy as ****, but cool. I can give you things to be aware of:

- I don't know why you'd do this in London but if you rent a car, be aware jay walking is totally LEGAL. Pedestrians do and will walk out from every mother ****ing square inch of road, so don't kill anyone.

- There are loads of really cool little markets all over central london, the main reason to go to them is you find amazing little food stalls selling top scran :D

- It's like, expensive.. I know you have money so I don't suppose you will care ;) But be prepared to pay $20 if you stop for a beer and a snack in any half decent bar or cafe. If you want a 'traditional' English lunch like fish and chips, again, that is going to be $20 to $30 probably. If you actually deliberately try some fine dining, assume $100+ per person easily.

- Lots of the museums in London are free admission and tend to be pretty good. Check online first, but most of them are. Try and go at a weird time, as they get very busy during obvious times (mid day on a Saturday).

- It's going to rain so just accept it. You can't really change your plans too much because of the weather in this country, just gotta make the best of it :p It can easily rain day after day after day for well over a week, even in the Summer, if you're unlucky. Generally though if you're there for a week you can expect one or two sunny/overcast days safely.

- One place i'd definitely say to visit if it's your kind of thing is the Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew. It's a pretty huge place, so even when it's busy, it's not over crowded. Immaculate pristine country grounds with some really exotic giant greenhouses full of different climates.

- Ofc there is Uber in London, but the black cabs are great too. The cabbie exam is really tough to pass. You can be anywhere in London and ask to go anywhere in London and there is a 98% chance the driver knows exactly where you mean and won't ever need a map or satnav. It's pretty impressive when you look at how complicated the roads are in London !

https://youtu.be/cRvw2DvoLLI?t=40

Last edited:
Was looking for a beater car today and a dude was adamant on trying to get me in a 2017 Mustang GT. So been having my fun with that.

You know you were tempted ;) ;)

Arn't Mustang's super cheap over there ? They are about £28k here, which for the power is still very cheap compared to our alternatives. But I think if they were as cheap as they are in the US, they'd sell a metric **** tonne of them.

You know you were tempted ;) ;)

Arn't Mustang's super cheap over there ? They are about £28k here, which for the power is still very cheap compared to our alternatives. But I think if they were as cheap as they are in the US, they'd sell a metric **** tonne of them.
They take about 7k off MSRP at this dealer so the one I'd want base is 28k. Thing is, F150 is bread and butter here for Ford hands down. Same kinda options in an F150 and we're talking 80k easy. I have a friend that kept screwing with a dealer and they were offering him a 2016 GT auto base model for 10k. He did it. That's why I said I've been having my fun with it because if they lower it enough to make that sale I'll jump on it. The one they have that I want is a triple black performance pack 2017 GT. Hell I'd do it for 18k honestly.

Back
Top Bottom