Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Not learning a language in school is one thing, heck I took german for 5 years and didn't get squat out of it apart from a rhyme or two. I didn't see any benefit, didn't put any effort in, etc.

But not learning when it's all around you is bordering on herpderp-level brainpower. It takes a while, as in months, but you cannot help but learn.
For example, if you had "fenster" repeated ad infinitum in front of you whenever someone gestured at a window, you'd have to be rather special to never understand that it means "window". Same for the rest of the language.

TL;DR not picking up a language in class I can understand. But not picking up a language after months/years of immersion? You wouldn't be shakespeare, but you'd be able to converse I hope.

Last edited:

But my ability to parse one word from another and one sentence from another is remarkably bad in other languages, especially German. And what about when they are just speaking to you generally, not about anything, then how are you going to pick it up ? you might pick up what words they use when they greet each other or say goodbye, but i'm not sure about the middle part. You learn it easy as a kid because your brain is wired up to start learning it subconsciously, not to mention the fact your parents inadvertently help you along with learning.

I speak to Germans every day, and I still have no idea what they are on about until they realize I am English and then talk to me with better English than I speak to them with.

No, no i mean that BF3 on consoles, PS3 is overall better looking.

PC KICKS BUTT!

Also, I am going to install Windows 8. Must I use Driver Sweeper after I install it to get rid of all drivers and get the Windows 8 compatible ones?

Last edited:

And what about when they are just speaking to you generally, not about anything, then how are you going to pick it up ?
Well, we're assuming now that nobody is going to help you at all, but it's still possible. You'll still understand a certain word IS a word after a while, and with multiple contexts you'll get an idea of what it means.
For example, "das ist lustig! hahaha". I bet you can already make a guess as to what "lustig" means. For a more complicated word you'll need more context, but the principle is the same.
Taking things back to reality though (as in TJ's situation), and you've got someone to help you too. Or several someones.

You learn it easy as a kid because your brain is wired up to start learning it subconsciously
Don't use that as a copout ;) "I could do it easier when I was 5" doesn't mean "I shouldn't even try because it'll be pointless now".

I speak to Germans every day, and I still have no idea what they are on about
I think I said something more along the lines of "months" and "immersion" re learning, but I can see how that could be misconstrued to mean "you'll learn german if you stay in england and talk to a german once a day on the phone and they say one sentence in german before switching to english". hehehe

But my ability to parse one word from another and one sentence from another is remarkably bad in other languages, especially German.
"My ability to do kickflips is remarkably bad" is also not a good excuse to not start skateboard practice. Duh you're bad at it now, you need to practice! And before you say "school french years didn't work", remember that's not what I'm saying will work. Didn't work for me, doesn't work for a lot of people. What I'm arguing is that, when you move to a country with another language, you're essentially taking a never ending class on the language every day that you hear it. Logically that should be easier/better than one or two 1-hour classes a week

Like I said, I don't have a problem learning languages. But I don't learn in school except for my first 3. For example, I'm learning Farsi (Persian) right now, and I don't have a teacher or expensive software. I just talk to some Iranian friends after work and read my books. I started a few months ago and I'm already beyond conversational. But that's just me. Everyone learns differently. I prefer speaking German to English, and I can translate/interpret very well because I use both languages daily. So, I guess if we move, they would pick up eventually, but it would be very hard at first. As for the cost of living, I've already calculated that. If I was just going to make what I do now, I wouldn't take it because I'd just be losing money. But with the raise I'd take over there, I'll be roughly where I'm at now. Not to mention side work.

And this is why I don't believe in dual card solutions.

ASUS ROG ARES II 6144 MB Review | techPowerUp

1600 bucks for a card that does worse than its single card solution in games that obviously don't support Crossfire. I would be pretty ****ed.

Have you ever done quadfire? :lol:

In other news, I hate the governor of my state. Pretty sure I've ranted about this before, but it's worth repeating. That guy is an *******.

Ares 2 is just another dual GPU on a stick. I can imagine support would be worse for 4 cards. I've done tri-SLI before and multiple Crossfire. Was a nightmare compared to supported single card solutions.

Back
Top Bottom