Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

All of the problems like this that I keep hearing make be glad that I'm not using a Sandforce SSD as a boot drive.

I know the OCZ fanboys claim they are reliable but the are mountains of evidence like this seem to indicate otherwise.
I'm fairly certain that's a motherboard issue rather an issue with the SSD.

If Sandforce was so bad then Intel wouldn't be using it LOL.
The only Intel SSD that uses a Sandforce controller I'm aware of is the 520; the 300 series and 510 all use Intel controllers (that's not me trying to dispute you btw, more just additional info).

If Sandforce was so bad then Intel wouldn't be using it LOL.

So far that's just a rumor. Besides even if they did use a Sandforce controller they would undoubtedly write their own firmware for it. Since all of the issues that plague Sandforce drives are firmware related the Intel variant could easily avoid them.

I'm fairly certain that's a motherboard issue rather an issue with the SSD.

The only Intel SSD that uses a Sandforce controller I'm aware of is the 520; the 300 series and 510 all use Intel controllers (that's not me trying to dispute you btw, more just additional info).

I've seen enough posts by owners of Sandforce 2xxx drives with boot issues that I wouldn't rule the SSD out.

So far that's just a rumor. Besides even if they did use a Sandforce controller they would undoubtedly write their own firmware for it. Since all of the issues that plague Sandforce drives are firmware related the Intel variant could easily avoid them.

I've seen enough posts by owners of Sandforce 2xxx drives with boot issues that I wouldn't rule the SSD out.
I'm sure if it was as simple as that (lets say Sandforce IS the problem with all these drives) then OCZ would fix it already. Thing is, there are plenty other SSD drives using this controller and only OCZ appears to be getting bashed quite regularly. Gee, I wonder why that is?

Btw, I had a boot issue and I don't have a SF drive or an OCZ drive.
I still stand by my opinion that way to many people treat these drives like a mechanical and that is the cause of most problems. I've owned an OCZ SSD, and all of my tech buddies own one. We don't have any problems at all.

I'm sure if it was as simple as that (lets say Sandforce IS the problem with all these drives) then OCZ would fix it already. Thing is, there are plenty other SSD drives using this controller and only OCZ appears to be getting bashed quite regularly. Gee, I wonder why that is?

Btw, I had a boot issue and I don't have a SF drive or an OCZ drive.
I still stand by my opinion that way to many people treat these drives like a mechanical and that is the cause of most problems. I've owned an OCZ SSD, and all of my tech buddies own one. We don't have any problems at all.

I'd say OCZ gets most of the bashing because they sell the most Sandforce drives by a large margin. Plus some of their past actions like the Vertex 2 fiasco make them an easy target.

From what I understand SSD issues are close to 100% firmware related regardless of manufacturer. Since they target OEMs and enterprise customers that demand better reliability Intel does more extensive testing of their drives than someone like OCZ who is selling to gamers and enthusiasts who are willing to deal with a bit of instability in exchange for performance. This is likely true for Samsung as well, companies like Apple won't give them a contract to supply them with SSDs unless the drives meet certain standards for reliability.

No offense but if you don't have a OCZ SSD now how can you say you wouldn't have a problem with it? I have owned 3 different OCZ drives and currently have a Vertex 2 and Agility 2 that have been trouble free but that does not make the issues other have experienced invalid. I read a thread just the other day where a user was experiencing an extremely high failure rate for vertex 3 drives they had deployed while older SSDs running in the same environment were much more reliable. Clearly if the newer drives are dying at a considerably higher rate than ones which have been in service longer there is something wrong.

*shrugs* we have 3 vertex 3's installed at work, many intel drives (510's and 320's) plus I've got an SSD in my laptop and in an external USB3.0 case. Haven't run into issues yet, but maybe we're just lucky :/

Today I'll be spending a good while soldering to finish up a project for a mate before christmas, making my dad some business cards, and cleaning up the office. Exciting!

edit: now that I remember, we did have to replace one 320, can't remember why though (happened months ago)

Created a new email address, online handle and Twitter account to go with it. Soon I'll be sticking with ChironGM.

'Yamikotai', as memorable as it is to me that doesn't seem to be the case with others :p

I'd say OCZ gets most of the bashing because they sell the most Sandforce drives by a large margin. Plus some of their past actions like the Vertex 2 fiasco make them an easy target.

From what I understand SSD issues are close to 100% firmware related regardless of manufacturer. Since they target OEMs and enterprise customers that demand better reliability Intel does more extensive testing of their drives than someone like OCZ who is selling to gamers and enthusiasts who are willing to deal with a bit of instability in exchange for performance. This is likely true for Samsung as well, companies like Apple won't give them a contract to supply them with SSDs unless the drives meet certain standards for reliability.

No offense but if you don't have a OCZ SSD now how can you say you wouldn't have a problem with it? I have owned 3 different OCZ drives and currently have a Vertex 2 and Agility 2 that have been trouble free but that does not make the issues other have experienced invalid. I read a thread just the other day where a user was experiencing an extremely high failure rate for vertex 3 drives they had deployed while older SSDs running in the same environment were much more reliable. Clearly if the newer drives are dying at a considerably higher rate than ones which have been in service longer there is something wrong.
I reviewed a Vertex 2 and I owned a Vertex 3 for about a month. I have 4 friends that have owned Vertex 3's since July (all bought at the same time) and none of them have had issues. It seems that I have only encountered one person with problems with their SSD. I'm not sure what the brand is though. Most of the down talk about SSD's comes from people screaming reliability yet I have had virtually no problems with my SSD and it came out almost 4 years ago. And like I said, I have had more problems with OS mechanical drives than any SSD I've used, not to mention they are way slower (in everything). Even though I can certainly Google horror stories about SSD's, I have personally not heard one from anybody I know of that own an SSD (that is a lot of people).

On topic, we just got home from the hospital safe and sound. Ezio and mommy are perfectly healthy and it looks like it's now time to start my own little family =)

Back
Top Bottom