Portable air conditioners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually there is a drain on it. It looks just like the drain you see on a cooler that you use for camping. Look at the images a bit down the page. The one that shows the back of the unit. See that little black plug? That is the drain.
Actually, that particular unit claims to be set up to drain the water through the exhaust vent. Mine is set up to either use a bucket or a hose that runs through the window exhaust adapter.

I just went to Home Depot and bought a 9000 btu LG portable unit and I am not impressed at all.
You never should have bought one at all. I have a portable unit for my bedroom. The only reason I have one is because my windows are sliding windows and it is impossible to install a window unit in them. Window units cool way better than portable ones and are more efficient. I have a large unit that I spent at least $300 on and it doesn't cool half as well as the $99 window unit in my son's room.

You should have just bought a more powerful window unit.

I realize now I should have bought a window unit. Plus stores had more of a selection of window units. The main reason I bought a portable unit is because we operate an ice cream booth during the 4-h fair and it would be much easier to setup a portable unit in the booth.

After the fair is over, I am going to return the portable unit and buy a bigger window unit. I have the portable unit in a roughly 12x11ft room and have the window unit in a 18x11ft room with the door open between the two rooms.

I figured the portable unit would be better since the window would not have to be opened as much so there would be less places for the heat to come in.

I don't guess I would have any trouble returning the unit?

Any brands of window units I should stay away from?

I think if you run it through the fair, you may have difficulties returning it for a refund. I seem to enjoy my Whirlpool window unit, I just checked the date it's 8 years old.... Time flys when you get older, I swear it wasn't 8 years ago.... lol

But it still brings my room down to 68F on a 90F day and my room is a 15x18x7ish plus a walk in closet.

Well I decided to take the portable unit back and bought a bigger window unit. It is a LG model LW8010ER 8000 btu. So far I am pretty happy with it. I am just using it to cool my room and it keeps it at 70 degrees with no problem. One thing I like about it is it has a 5 year warranty on it standard. I have never seen a warranty like that on anything that you didn't have to buy separate except for computer hardware. It was also 100 bucks less than the portable unit. This one cost 200 and the portable cost 300.

I was going to buy a bigger unit but 8000 btu was the biggest one Home Depot had. I would have checked somewhere else but I didn't have time. I was going for a 10,000 btu unit so I would be able to cool both rooms.

There are a couple of reasons why I was having so much trouble keeping my room cool before. One is the size of the old window unit, it is only 5100 btu. And the second reason is I am on the second floor so I am getting all the heat from the ceiling and the attic is in my room. When I open the attic door, I can feel the heat just rolling out.

Overall, I am pretty happy with it. Should have bought this one in the first place. Thank you for all your help.

Actually, you are getting all the heat from down stairs, you may want to look into some solar powered fan vents for your attic if it's that hot up there, it's pretty toasty in my, and I have the door to mine in my room, but the solar powered vents help keep it cooler up there.

Well I decided to take the portable unit back and bought a bigger window unit. It is a LG model LW8010ER 8000 btu. So far I am pretty happy with it. I am just using it to cool my room and it keeps it at 70 degrees with no problem. One thing I like about it is it has a 5 year warranty on it standard. I have never seen a warranty like that on anything that you didn't have to buy separate except for computer hardware. It was also 100 bucks less than the portable unit. This one cost 200 and the portable cost 300.

I was going to buy a bigger unit but 8000 btu was the biggest one Home Depot had. I would have checked somewhere else but I didn't have time. I was going for a 10,000 btu unit so I would be able to cool both rooms.

There are a couple of reasons why I was having so much trouble keeping my room cool before. One is the size of the old window unit, it is only 5100 btu. And the second reason is I am on the second floor so I am getting all the heat from the ceiling and the attic is in my room. When I open the attic door, I can feel the heat just rolling out.

Overall, I am pretty happy with it. Should have bought this one in the first place. Thank you for all your help.

You shoulda went to Lowes. They have up to i believed 25,000 BTU window units.

Little OT but i found this. Be glad you have an AC.

snc00078wd.jpg

lol, ah you guys are funny...
Stuff ACs, get this:
Double-Bubble-Foil-Insulation.jpg

which is basically bubbles with foil around it.
and then lay a thick piece of white styrofoam on top of that. Then get two or three whirlybirds and chuck them on the roof. done!
No extra cooling bills, and it stays **** cool in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom