Non-tech advice.

Carpet or hard flooring?

Either way, I would try out an exterior grade Draft Guard, they are thick, and good ones have 3-6 rubber fins on the bottom so it would create the highest seal possible...

Next choice IMO would be to get two metal draft guards that screw onto the outside, no under-door component, put one on each side of the door. This would make the door easier to open than an exterior design would, and would still seal decently.

The door sweep (two tubes on each side with fabric connecting them??) can mess up if the door is too high off the ground and on carpet. Essentially, they sometimes like to partially roll under the door.

Also, consider some thin weather stripping on the door for further sealing.

Worse comes to worse, buy a solid core door slab and make you a new door with proper weather stripping. This would be the most efficient as most all interior doors of a home are hollow... Or, if you don't care about looks, you could get some pink foam board they use in housing these days... On some sections of outer walls here, they use that instead of plywood for superior insulation.... Get that stuff and screw it to the door... Instant insulated door.

Last edited:
Yea I went to Lowes and Home Depot. Neither place had a door sweep that would fill that 2" gap. Flooring for the rooms is carpet and they don't want me doing anything to the floor. I guess their logic is, anything I do to the door can be easily replaced by a new door. Anything short of a simple fix to cover the gap is too expensive as I'm still technically unemployed right now.

I have thought about some home made solutions, like some foam PVC insulation and making my own draft guard, or the board insulation like you suggested. Just haven't decided on what yet.

Yea I thought about that too. Honestly, I thought about doing that with some carpet on it. Not quite going all the way to the floor carpet so it doesn't snag, but enough to not let anything through.

Sad thing is, might not have to worry about it for a while. I'm not sure how long this AC unit is going to last.

Back
Top Bottom