Nigerian Scammers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius said:
The way that crap works is they send you a check, it all seems real (and the one I heard) is that they give you more than you ask for and then want you to send the change to some address that's in your country. The person receives the 'change', you lost your item, and the check is removed from your bank account. The thing that makes it look real is because that check appears to actually be deposited in your bank for a while.

Would it work if you moved the money as soon as you got it?

magouster said:
Has anybody else here had to deal with something like this?

All the time. Every day, I get a least one email from some one asking me for computer parts or notebooks.

Bewarned, as some of the these scammers might use a freight forwarding company. So even if every thing does look legit, it's best to call up the destination, and find out if that person really lives/works there.

A few dead give aways I have found with these people.
1. Most of the time, they really have no idea what the current specs are on notebook computers. Like I will get some thing that I will find extremely out of place on the notebook computer.
Eg. Name brand notebook computer with a very low Celeron CPU, Low Hard Drive, Low Ram, however there is DVD Burner and Blue Tooth in there.

2. They are extemely quick to agree on your order. And they have no problem with paying Credit Card Surge Charges. And they are no fussed on courier fees.

3. More that 1 credit card to pay for the items.

4. No phone number. Seriously, who is about to purchase about $4000 worth of computer hardware and is going to get sent via courier. And then not supply a contact phone number. Even when you advise them via email that it's in their best interest.

Because of these people, if they are not local in Australia, I am not interested unless I am 100% sure that I know where the money is coming from.*
And if the purchase value is more that AU$500, the docket needs to be signed.
And if the purchase value is more than AU$1000, I need to see some photo ID too.

* There is a a collage in PNG that I send computers too from time to time.

Good, so at least I'm not the only one being targeted! Still looking for ways to SPAM their e-mail addresses to ****! Any suggestions?

Give into their demains. And if they are asking you to send the goods to a freight forwarding company, then send them a dead 486 Computer.

I did that once. The scammer at the other end was calling me up giving me abuse about this dead computer I sent him.

Please note, I did not process his credit card. However it was worth the time as every one was laughing at the following abusive emails and phone calls.

well my nan has received the same chain letter twice if that counts :p. its the classic "david rhodes pyramid scheme" scam for those who are familiar with it (Harper and a few others mostly i guess as i'm pretty sure this is an Australian started scam). one of the letters seemed to be a fair way down the line guessing by the list of adresses but the other had only been forwarded once. the idea of it is you get a letter that i'm not going to fully explain as its full of crap, it supplies 5 adresses of which you are supposed to send $10 to the first adress, delete it and shift the other 4 up and add your adress to the end. you then photocopy/print 200 or so of these and forward them to other people. i can't believe the person who was the first to forward it fell for it, the 5 adresses (they only used white out on the top adress) were all P.O boxes in NSW which is instantly suspicious.

edit: explaination of the david rhodes scam

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/shopping/scams/pyramidschemes.html#David Rhodes of Perth

Don't know, I assume your bank would probably over charge your account, try to blame you, and stick you with a bunch of ridiculous charges or something.

Simon said:

It wouldn't, no, because once the bank realises there has been a mistake or the cheque is counterfeit, they will take the money from your account, and leave you with a 3000GBP overdraft. I've read of people it has happened to.

These scams sound completely outragious and you have to be a bit of an idiot to fall for it, and yet it has to work every now and again, otherwise they wouldn't bother continuing.

Re:

Hello,

Tried selling a Motorola V80 once on eBay. Had to relist because of mofo 419er bought the item...and the user was outside of the UK - which was my stated delivery zone. I opened a dispute and cancelled the transaction without hesitating.

Three days after cancelling the transaction, eBay closed that account, and sent me a fraud warning alerting me of the fraudulent user, including what steps to take if I had already gone ahead with the transaction.

...but I managed to relist the item and it was sold to a legitime eBayer.

Here is the email the fraudulent eBayer sent me:

From (now inactive) eBay Member: mary_ken106

Dear Seller,
Greetings,I am Mary Kennedy and am in holland for a work transfer Just want to let you know that i saw your lovely item you auctioned at EBAY and i will like to buy it for my daugther who has gone to nigeria to further her studies and she called me that next week is her birthday so i will like you to calculate the shipping cost to my daugther in nigeria via (DHL OR UPS OR FEDEX OR ROYALMAIL) and the item cost and also i want to inform you that i will be making the payment via (PAYPAL ONLINE) credited into your paypal account .So this is the address where the package will be
shipped to
NAME:JENNIFER KENNEDY
ADDRESS:WORKS AND SERVICES
DEPARTMENT,BESIDE AP FILING STATION,
UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS
CITY:YABA
STATE:LAGOS STATE
ZIPCODE:23401

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom