A new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

In Runtime
Hey I'm thinking about getting a new computer and have two options, either build it myself or buy a fairly decent computer from a retailer at a reasonable price. My budget is about £1300/$2400 and Ive looked at some of the alienware computers, which have quite nice specs considering their price. Buying a fairly decent computer is looking like the more likely option seeing as im pretty busy at the moment and need the computer before I go to college. Any help in recommending any computers would be helpful,

Thanks.

for £1300 you can build an amazing computer... in fact you can build a kick-arse one for way less than that... dont bother with pre-builts they are such a rip off...

also for components try www.pcindex.co.uk for price comparisons... thats what I always do in order to get the best deal on each component!
Also check out www.microdirect.co.uk and www.scan.co.uk for their today only deals as sometimes you can get a real steal on bits and pieces there. Also www.ebuyer.co.uk have some good deals sometimes and so too do www.dabs.co.uk.

if though you are too stuck for time then maybe a prebuilt is the way to go.... just make sure that you shop around and perhaps get a "custom build" done... that way you ensure you get exactly what you want... i think www.evesham.co.uk do this and they have 3years onsite warranty which is good and i think the others i have mentioned can do a similar custom build service... good luck! But beware dont just jump at a system that calls itself a gaming one... check out the specs first as sometimes companies will put lower quality products (such as soundcards, ram etc or even a cheap mobo) in return for a good graphics card... so just check all the specs first!!!

Hope you get yourself a great computer!

Definitely build your own. I built 2 really good computers with the same amount of money you're looking to dump into a retail computer, and had a really fun time building them too.

I definitely agree w/ hygor....
and with that kind of budget...you can build a really good comp.
good luck w/ dat.

IF you want to get a new computer then ask what you should get. For 2400 bucks the parts you could buy with that would be amazing. You could do 3.2ghz with 2gb memory, dvd burner, 10k rpm hard drive, ati 9800xt video card and 19" monitor with logitech mx700 mouse and matched keyboard with altec lansing surround hooked up to a soundblaster platinum audigy 2. And you would still have money left. But if you want reliaibilty, no doubt buy one from either falcon or alienware. Or check your local small shop if there is any. Knock on wood i had my local place build mine and havent one problem in 2 years. But now i know how to build pc's and could do the same myself

hahaha you all getting so excited!

But something like an AMD (mrzeeedler :p) 64-bit is the best out there for games atm. Then treat yourself to dual-channel Corsair/Kingston at DDR400+

I have tried using 1GB sticks, it has never worked out good, they just don't work!

Then get yourself RAID -0 SATA 150 10k rpm hard drives.

Now you can start to pick out the obvious stuff like an ATI Radeon 9800XT.

But if I was you I would wait until the PCI Express cards come out, then you have the latest of everything (obviously wait for reviews about PCI Express first before buying)

You should definitely build your own computer, and College doesn't start till September!

Building computers is so easy, and a lot cheaper than buying a Dell or PCWorld computer.

Remember to take into account that you will have to buy Windows XP Professional and other software for your new computer, this is to ensure that you can keep your 'old' computer up and running.

Good luck!

oh yeah i forgot till i read kangaroos post..... stay away from PCWORLD... its evil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom