My Hamster Died

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
Yeah, one of my youngest hamsters died, not even 4 months old, he died last night from some bad bad bacterial infection (sort of like a flu, except worse).

See, I bought 2 hamsters, male and female, at a reptile expo for 6 bucks. I brought them home, they had lots of babies, and I kept 4 of them, meaning I had 6 hamsters for a time being! I was overloaded so I gave one away to a good family, bringing me down to 5.

3 were boys, and 2 were girls, I seperated them based on sex so they wouldn't breed anymore. Thats including the original 2 I bought.

Anyways, I came home from a movie one night and noticed one of the male hamsters almost wheezing, I brushed it off and the wheezing became worse and then it got some mild diarrhea. I knew it was sick but hamsters are pretty hardy so I left it alone, its brother and father hamsters weren't sick, so why was this one?

Etc etc.. The symptoms got worse, and I didn't know what to do! Yesterday I came home from school and realized it was totally lethargic, had TERRIBLE diarrhea and discharge coming from its nostrils, and it was taking slow, paced breaths. I felt so horrible for it, it was suffering and I didn't know what to do, I was thinking of ways to put it down humanely but I don't really carry any hard chemicals on me. I even tried giving the hamster echinacea once, to see if it would make him feel better, no avail, wouldn't take it!

I had a feeling last night would've been its last night, so I took it out of its cage where its father and brother live, and put it in a seperate little enclosure so it would live out the last days of its live, I mean, if I was dying I wouldn't want my brother or dad trying to play with me :confused:

After I set everything up, I put the enclosure on my bedside, so I could keep an eye on it before I went to bed. I was lying in bed watching it, and I realized I wasn't all that tired, and the hamster already, its breaths were slowing down and its eyes were slowly closing. I went to watch a little TV (nothing good was on, had to settle for some stupid comedy show) and when I came back, my little buddy wasn't breathing anymore...

I've had pets die out on me before, but I felt really bad about this one. I mean, I probably could've prevented it or something, I didn't take it to the vet simply because I can't afford too. I still have 4 other hamsters to take care of, which appear to be perfectly healthy, and a bearded dragon, which would probably be willing to eat the 4 others if I let him! Those of you who own hamsters should know that there exist no two hamsters which behave similiarly. Its as if they have their own attitudes and habits which make them unique, and the one that died did the cutest things, like it would stick its ears up real high and stare at me, or while I was holding it, it would roll around in my hand or roll over on its back (only when it thought I would be able to support it without dropping him!) and let me rub its stomach. I felt really bad having to lose this one, and I feel even worse now, because he died so late I couldn't go out and bury him! So I just covered him in some bedding and I'll bury him when I get home from school today.

Yep, and thats all folks. :(

too bad dude. that's the drawback with pets (and sometimes other living organisms, like family members), they're fun to play with but when the die it's not fun at all. time will heal wounds, though. it just takes some time.

think about parents whose child(ren) die, now that must be pretty freakin hard for your psyche.

ya...sorry about your loss :( i've had hampsters all my life and i've seen some nasty deaths...most were fast though and not slow and painful like ur case....one time my hammpy got out of his cage and ran under the refridgerator....and hit the fan....took a while to clean...it was sad....i gave one of my hamsters to my neighbors and then one day when i was over there...they hadn't cleaned the cage in like 2 months and it was all stinky and nasty...and the animals looked sick....as much as i pleaded with them to clean the cage they wouldn;t....so i eventually cleaned it myself just to save the animal......who later died of freezing because the @(*$@'s left the window open in the winter....never again will i give an animal to them

Thats so sad... I actually have a tear in my eye. I understand you pain, I was sad when my pets died.

Really sorry for your loss man :(.

Why didn't you take it to the vet? They look at hamsters too right?

Sorry to hear that man :(

I had to put my bird down a couple week's ago too,Some how it sliced it's throat on something and he was making it worse by scratching at it,So needless to say i had to put him down quik.

I think my hampster is going to be going soon too,I've had her over a year and she's getting a lot slower and starting to make weird noise's lately :(

Hampsters are fun. I've had a few.

Chubby was the best. She lived for like, 3 years. Then she died of old age.

Then I got Twitch. We think that Twitch was some sort of geneti experiment because he looked like a long-haird mouse, but he was a hampster with white hair and red eyes...He was WAY retarded. He died while running in his exercise wheel... We suspected a heart-attack or something similar.

After Twitch came Snoozer. Snoozer was second best to Chubby. Snoozer was the kind of hampster that was like a good cat. He'd fall asleep in your hands, you know... He actually got out of his cage, made it onto my bed, and slept there one night. He died of old age as well. 2.5 years.

Then... We got Jack the Gerbil. Jack the Gerbil was a TERRIBLE pet. He would bite, and he would escape. Jack didn't like to be touched, or looked at or anything. If you walked into the room, he would hide in his tubes in the cage. Then, if I was sitting on the computer or something, he would sit in his food dish and stare at me. he wouldn't move or anything, just stare. Then, if I moved he would freak out and jump inside his cage and hit the top of it with his head. SO I stopped caring for him, hoping that he would just up and die. Well, about 3 months went by where I didn't hardly feed him anything, and I never cleaned his cage. But that little booger was too smart for that. He took all of his poo and moved it to an enclosed little tube area thing where it wouldn't smell, and so his cage never really got dirty. And, I later found out that my mom was secretly feeding him behind my back! So eventually, when I was entirely FED UP with this little menace... I went to my friend Sarah, and I said, "Sarah, you have a pet snake right?" So in the end, Jack died of natural causes. A snake ate him. -The End-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom