mandatory Army service

Status
Not open for further replies.

kostas

In Runtime
i just wanted to read your opinions on the subject. i just recently was discharged from the Greek army where it's mandatory for all boys over 18 yo to serve their country for a minimum of 12 months or reduced if meet special requirements (orphans, fathers, disabilities etc.), kind of like a jury duty service in the States (which i also had to do 3 years ago). although many European countries used to have a mandatory service now between 2001 and 2006 almost all of them have been relieved except Cyprus, Turkey, Bulgaria etc.

someone told me that they should make minimum Army service mandatory in the States because Americans are spoiled...

what's your take on this?

and also if you're from another country, what's the obligations like there?

Yes they should require something similar once a student is out of high school and before he/she goes to college, Like 6 months of military training incase the draft is ever needed again.

It's both a good idea and a bad idea. It is bad to have everyone trained how to fire guns and stuff.

If all these Americans knew how to shoot guns, I wouldnt see headlines like "XXX" has shootout with "YYY", nobody hurt. We wouldnt have this gangsta people hip firing 9mm pistol around anymore.

But I am probolly going into the reserves :)

I think some Military Service would be good. That way people can learn to follwo orders a little better here in the states. Yes we are spoiled by our rights. But i wont give them up for nothing. It is tough at my work to get anyone to do what is classidied as their job cause they are to lazy or just plain and simple dont care. A little Military training would change some of the attitudes around. Plus it would give kids out of high school a little look at what the "real world" is like when they atart working and dont have summers off and they have to go even if they dont feel like it.

couldnt agree with you more.. maybe not even 6 monthes though... 2 monthes maybe.. like a summer course thing before a new semester in college starts or something idk... but i think im going in the marines :D

In the US, state militias were around to protect states against centralized (federal) power. But the state militias were federalized in 1916 and became what we know today as the US Armed Forces.

There are still non-federal militias in existence today. If I remember correctly, all able bodied men from 17 to 60 in Michigan are in the militia automatically. :D So I am in some sort of military. Training is what most need.

someone told me that they should make minimum Army service mandatory in the States because Americans are spoiled...
those are generally the people who are upset simply because we have the freedom NOT to have to go into the military since ours is already one of the strongest in the world.

Granted I will admit a lot of americans are spoiled cocky bastards but forcing them into the army wouldn't help.

If all these Americans knew how to shoot guns, I wouldnt see headlines like "XXX" has shootout with "YYY", nobody hurt. We wouldnt have this gangsta people hip firing 9mm pistol around anymore.
You need to move further away from america or something...you have so many 'anti-american' comments it's ridiculous....that stuff happens everywhere in the world, unfortunately the news and media around here like to put that up as "TOP STORIES" anytime they get a chance...it's typical media BS, put nothing but the bad things up happening.

The way you talk about america sometimes is like somebody saying "All germans are nazis"

Almost no germans are nazi.

I am just laughing at the average "gangsta's" inability to fire a weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom