The loss of a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I received word tonight that a high school classmate of mine died today. He was two months older than me, lean, physically fit. He owned a restaurant that he opened up a couple of years ago which is doing rather well. His father is our recently retired county property assessor and his brother is a prominent local attorney.

So, what killed him you ask? Liver failure followed by kidney failure due to the elevated levels in the blood caused by the liver failure. His lungs were also failing and his blood pressure kept dropping.

His death was not immediate. He collapsed at his parents' house on the 10th of November, and died today, the 15th. He was in ICU in a coma the entire time, but was responsive when spoken to or touched... meaning his body had him held captive and his mind was awake and aware. He died slowly due to his body shutting down, but was aware through almost all of it... up until they dosed him up with morphine at the end to ease his pain.

So, why am I sharing all of this? Simple... because of this thread. You see, Gregg's liver died because he was an alcoholic. No, he wasn't one like Otis on The Andy Griffith Show; Gregg was a fully functional individual who drank... a lot... all the time. He never got sloppy drunk, or staggered around, but he did keep some kind of drink either in his hand or at his elbow and had ever since he graduated school. Even if Gregg had made it he would have needed a liver transplant. But, since the damage came from drinking, it would have been a year before they would have put his name on the list... and you can't live a year without a liver.

43 is too young to die like this. 103 is too young to die like this. No one should ever die in this manner. While I will not try to tell everyone here that drinking will automatically kill you, I do want everyone here to know about this and to think about it. I don't want to have to hear about someone else I know, either personally or here on TF, going out in the same manner.

I'm done with my spiel. No one else here knew Gregg so no one else will miss him. But I do hope that he did not die in vain; if this causes any of you to think about him whenever you go to drink then it will have not happened for naught.

This is the EXACT same thing that happened to my brother, but, there ARE warning signs with liver and kidney failure, mostly, the yellowing of skin, and yellow eyes.

My brother, got lucky, (His liver didn't fail entirely, but, it was enough his kidneys where shutdown) after two months or so, he was out of the hospital, and lost a lot of weight due to being sick, he used to drink a bottle of vodka a night, every night, for 5 or so years, he did this because he missed our father. I was just turning 16, and I was out of school for a long time due to it. But, he did recover, he had a few "relapses" back into the whole kidney/liver failure, but, he eventually got outta those, because we got him into the ER asap, I remember one night, (This was during xmass week) we had to rush him to the emergency room, it was PACKED, we asked a nurse if he could be moved up the line due to his illness after we saw them drop everything to attend to an older woman that had burns on her hands. They agreed after hearing about his recent issues, and took him in, 3 minutes later, I heard a guy screaming at the nurses because he had been there for 4 hours, (His wife had a MILD fever, why they are in the ER, I have no clue) and people that hadn't been in line as long had gone in before him. Security tried to tell him it's because other people had more serious issues than a mild fever, (such as failing liver, and people coming in with burns, and so on).

But, now, my brother is out, doesn't drink anymore, still smokes though, but, he is doing better, he is still on a low-sodium diet, most likely for the rest of his life, and he can NOT drink ANY liquor, he also has to be careful of the medications he drinks due to a badly damaged liver, and his kidneys.

I'm very sorry for your loss Trotter.

I'm very touched that you shared this with us in a form of watching out for us and not wanting anyone else to suffer the same fate.

Very sorry for your loss, especially under such circumstances.

Like anything though, alcohol has to be taken in moderation. A lot of things do damage if you take to much, you can die from too much salt, you can die from eating to much junk food, you can even die from drinking too much water. And then on the other end of the spectrum, too little salt, food, water, will also kill you.

The body is a machine built with the finest of tolerances, too much or too little of anything upsets it. Humans have been around millions of years and we still don't have the perfect intake for our bodily needs, i think it shows humanities ignorance and lack of respect for our well being, nearly everyone of us is guilty of some sort of bad treatment to our bodies, whether that be excessive eating or drinking, drugs or the lack of exercise and everything in between.

So sorry for the loss of your friend Trotter :(

I appreciate you sharing this with us. I quit the sauce because I was drinking way too much and could feel it totally affecting my body. That was only after 8 years or so of drinking. I can't imagine what it must feel like after 20 or 30 or more. Some people can drink in moderation and it's no problem for them. That wasn't me. I'm just lucky I got out from under it before it became a life threatening problem. My aunt basically "pickled" herself. She stunk of alcohol even as she was on her death bed and hadn't had a drink in weeks. Watching her die a miserable death had a dramatic effect on me and made me vow to never go out like that.

Of course, there's also the hazard that is caused by reckless behavior when drinking. Some of those deaths, while there's not the level of suffering involved, are still heinous.

The bad news is that as you get older even more of your friends will die. It seems like I have a friend dieing every couple of months here lately, and I'm still in my Fourties. But not all of them are young, as you get older you also get older friends.

Sorry for your loss.

It's important to keep in mind, alcoholism is a disease. I've seen it in several people around me and it's a horrible thing to see a substance take over someones life. If you know someone who has a drinking problem, don't keep silent about it. It could be their life or someone else's someday.

It doesn't matter if you're 21 or 67, you always have to be careful. It's one thing to enjoy a drink and party from time to time, but always drink responsibly and drink in moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom