Infinity, does it really exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would happen if the number system was finite? What would happen if I...decide to add 1 to the biggest number in existance?

No matter what end you state there is, I can always add 1 to it. Thus one cannot define such an end.

1/9 = .1111111111111... repeating
2/9 = .2222222222222... repeating
3/9 = .3333333333333... repeating

etc. etc. until...

9/9 = .9999999999999... repeating?

I know there's an explanation to this, but I can't remember it. Apokalipse might've come close to explaining it, but I think there's more to it than that.

Hmm... just noticed that Ridlyn posted this same problem in that other thread... can't remember the **** name, but if you read it, you know what I'm talking about. :)

So... ignore this, or post an answer here, or call me a retard, or whatever, I don't care. :)

see, if you add 8/9 (0.8888888888..... recurring) to 1/9 (0.11111111111..... recurring)
the only way to add the decimal numbers and get the answer 100% right is to add all of the infinite number of digits.
if you actually add the infinite number of digits together, not rounded off anywhere you do get 1.
if you do round it off somewhere, you get a number close to 1, but not exactly. although the question and the answer would be slightly off from 1/9 + 8/9 = 9/9
this is because 1/9 = 0.1111111111111111111..... recurring and 8/9 = 0.888888888888888..... recurring. they don't get rounded off. if you do, they aren't exactly 1/9 and 8/9 hence you don't get exactly 9/9 = 1 as an answer.

at some point there isn't anymore room for numbers. like, if the whole world was completely filled with numbers, you couldn't add another. and if you type a graph there wouldn't be enough paper in the end.

thats my theory :)

but then again, if you can't see the number, is it still there?
Its like the sound from a falling tree in the woods nobody listens to, does the sound exist?

D4mn i'm bored :D

Dude are you really that ****ing stupid? Do you really think there will come a point where you will be unable to go + 1 more?

You should have thought twice before dropping out of kindergarten. Please go back to school and study simple math and go all the way to calculus, things should clear up for you.

STFU NOOB!!!

gab00n said:
Dude are you really that ****ing stupid? Do you really think there will come a point where you will be unable to go + 1 more?

You should have thought twice before dropping out of kindergarten. Please go back to school and study simple math and go all the way to calculus, things should clear up for you.

Can you prove there won't come a point where you will be unable to go + 1 more?

NO YOU CAN'T! So STFU and stop provoking people on the web! Why don't you just go back to fu(king your dog or slapping you h0m0sexual "partner" or whatever YOU PEOPLE do on MARS! You are too childish and afraid to showing your real location, or maybe you just have the baddest humor EVER!
Get a life, FREAK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom