How old is your hard drive?

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So I decided to check my HDDs health using HD Tune and CrystalDisk from a mix of boredom, curiosity, and concern.
(Only 1 reallocated sector on my HTPC's drive, none on my main rig, yay!.)

I was rather amazed to find that my main rig's drive has power on time of 40,537 hours, that is over 4.5 years!

Curious as to how long some of your drives have been running.
And I mean your daily-use drives, not some fossil you drag out of storage.

My oldest drive I have had since 2006 and it's been running ever since I got it. 1TB drives sometime in 08, 2TB drive both since 09. I can't remember the others. I got a first gen SSD in 08 as well and even though I don't have it anymore I know who does and it's still running in his machine. This is all SATA, I'm not counting the IDE drive I have in my 98 box.

I have 2 IBM ZPro servers that I use that have been pretty much running continuously since 2003. One has a single 60G SCSI drive and the other has 2 of the same drives.

I have some drives in my vintage collection that are from the mid 80's that still work but they aren't run continuously. My oldest is a 10M MFM drive that was manufactured in 1983.

Last edited:
The oldest one that I use Is from around 2007 (Hitachi 320GB), used as a desktop drive, and still used. 21033 hours.

I have a drive that is still in use nearing 70,000 power on hours according to smart data. It's an old drive, but still serves a good purpose.

Most of my hard drives are over 3 years old. Will be looking at replacing them in the new year.

E: 28601H
D: 11013H
C: 3989H (SSD)
H: 19502H
F: 22541H

Bad Sectors:
E: 100? Shows it as "good"
D: 78 and shows as "caution"
C: N/A
H: 100? Shows as "good"
F: 87 and shows as "caution"

I should probably replace these soon. I have another 3TB not plugged in with all important data backed up :tongue: When I do replace them I'm just going to stick them in a NAS or something.

Back
Top Bottom